Menu
marshallsibley
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

stuttering tivo

I'm having the same problem as others, the TIVO box stutters and breaks up on playback and after using pause TV.

sometimes its fine but happens more and more frequently.

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: stuttering tivo

Your hard drive is probably failing. You'll need to phone it in for help. 

0 Kudos
marshallsibley
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

Thought it might be.

I've rung it in now.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The "hard drive is probably failing" is a standard reply which may or may not be the case. There is another more serious problem which VM are not dealing with. 

Should VM replace your box it will be interesting to know if the problem is resolved.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
marshallsibley
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Interesting, I haven't called VM yet, but will let you know the outcome.

By the way, what is the more interesting problem you intimate?

Marshall
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

'Bug #357803 frame rate drop. Start here :-

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Pixellation-on-HD-Tivo-box/m-p/3191846...

Getting Virgin to talk about it is like getting blood from a stone but I have had it confirmed by other VM sources. They would prefer to ignore it, as is obvious from the non-responses to me from the Forum team and their dishonesty in not mentioning it to other posters who report similar problems.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: stuttering tivo - V6 update

As anyone who has read any of my posts on this subject will know, getting a response from VM on this problem is like hitting your head off a brick wall. But, finally, I have had discussions with VM this week but, regrettably, the news is bad.

At the start of the first discussion, earlier this week, I was told there is no solution so you should may be go elsewhere. When I responded with shock to this statement she immediately retracted and apologised but unfortunately it is a phrase I have seen too often on these forums from those who think that VM can do no wrong.

Getting by that unfortunate start and down to the nitty-gritty I learned some interesting information. Firstly, VM do not appear to have a clue as to how to resolve the stuttering issue, Bug #357803 frame rate drop. They also do not appear to have any idea why it seems to affect some customers and not others. Like others who have reported this problem, mine started in May this year after five years of Tivo use.

To try and get round her earlier comment about leaving she suggested that I should wait for the release of the V6 (and I am sure that she said pay for a V6). Since she had already confirmed that it was a Tivo software issue I then asked her to confirm that both the current Tivo and the V6 run the same software. Having confirmed that this was the case I then suggested that it would therefore also be the case that the V6 would have this issue.

She then confirmed that they were trying to find out if that was correct. Given that it would appear from the various release fiascoes that the Virgin test procedures leave a lot to be desired, I inquired that since they had difficulty establishing the cause of the issue then how would they test for it on the V6.

I could not get a satisfactory answer to that question so I made an offer. Since I not only suffer from the problem, on both of my Tivos, and I have proved by diagnosing the issue and forcing VM to confront it publicly for the first time, that I would be an ideal tester. She then replied that it would not be possible to release it to a customer but I then pointed out that, if they could not properly test it themselves, then they might be releasing a flawed box, at a cost, to customers like myself. She then agreed to go back and ask if this was possible.

So to today when I have been told that they will not consider this. She then could not confirm that they would resolve the problem before release. Maybe it is more important to VM to release the box rather than have it confirmed that it is buggy? I wonder what the legal situation would be if VM release the box with a known bug while charging customers for the privilege?  A major part of the criticism that VM receive on these forums is due to their lack of openness with their customers. I, for example, would prefer to remain a VM customer but they really do seem to want to provoke their customers.

I wonder what Sky will do on the release of the V6 if it is shown to have been released with a known bug that severely disrupts a customer's use of the service? I suspect that the launch will be attended by the reps from the various technical mags, etc. Maybe they need to know the right questions to ask?

¡No Pasarán!
amonline
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah they also have a serious bug with the new "Series Link+" function that was introduced in the latest software update to the TIVO boxes, which again is presumably also a bug within the V6, and all I've had on that issue is "we're forwarded the info" and "if it's still ongoing then post on the forum", which given it's a programming/coding issue seems unlikely to result in a solution any time soon!

Shame really as, like you say, I'd prefer to stay with Virgin if they were actually responsive and helpful, but they just keep tripping themselves up and losing ground to Sky at every turn, and always seem to be the last major provider to get a particular advancement made available to their customers Smiley Sad 

0 Kudos
marshallsibley
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Engineer been and finding nothing untoward in the system I was offered to swap out the box. I took up the offer.
Reading other posts here an interesting remark was, " I can turn off the series link+ if you like".
Been a couple of days now with no issues.
I will keep the forum up to date should the issue returns.
0 Kudos