Menu
RedBeki
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

splitter - which port?

Hi,

Can someone please tell me which port on my splitter is for my router, and which port is for my Tivo box? One port is 3.6db and the other is 4db.

Cheers,

Beki

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: splitter - which port?

RedBeki wrote:...  Can someone please tell me which port on my splitter is for my router, and which port is for my Tivo box? One port is 3.6db and the other is 4db.

There's always two answers (apart from the obvious)! Smiley Tongue  

SHORT:    "Rule-of-Thumb" (because Tivo will demand/tolerate higher input power) is 4dB = SHub  and 3.6dB=Tivo

LONG:  It depends.....    Splitter cable segment lengths....  Levels at omnibox and thus tap selection(street pit/cab),  slope ..... additional inline conditioning....  and obviously signal + RS counts on both SHub and STB.  The acid test obviously always being if/when one perceives pixelllation/stalls, dropped channels on Tivo and/or dropouts, packet loss et al on SHub.  

The tolerances on Tivo and SHubs are such that you can't cause damage if you try either port. Smiley Wink 

Eg I use several cascaded 3.6/4.0 splitters (instead of technically preferable 4way tap/splitter) for rare scenarios where I'm trialling and need to concurrently compare 2 or 3 Hubs and retain the Tivo (for the swmbo). That's obviously dependent on signal + slope (the Tivo channels are higher frequency than 16 BB channel plan and I'm 60m close-ish from street cab tap) and just about tolerate the 7.2 to 8dB attenuation without obvious signal degradation. 

HOLISTICALLY:  Connect as SHORT answer, problem on either/both then switch, still a problem then repost and me/someone can talk you thru basic diagnostics to determine variables as per LONG answer. 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

RedBeki wrote:...  Can someone please tell me which port on my splitter is for my router, and which port is for my Tivo box? One port is 3.6db and the other is 4db.

There's always two answers (apart from the obvious)! Smiley Tongue  

SHORT:    "Rule-of-Thumb" (because Tivo will demand/tolerate higher input power) is 4dB = SHub  and 3.6dB=Tivo

LONG:  It depends.....    Splitter cable segment lengths....  Levels at omnibox and thus tap selection(street pit/cab),  slope ..... additional inline conditioning....  and obviously signal + RS counts on both SHub and STB.  The acid test obviously always being if/when one perceives pixelllation/stalls, dropped channels on Tivo and/or dropouts, packet loss et al on SHub.  

The tolerances on Tivo and SHubs are such that you can't cause damage if you try either port. Smiley Wink 

Eg I use several cascaded 3.6/4.0 splitters (instead of technically preferable 4way tap/splitter) for rare scenarios where I'm trialling and need to concurrently compare 2 or 3 Hubs and retain the Tivo (for the swmbo). That's obviously dependent on signal + slope (the Tivo channels are higher frequency than 16 BB channel plan and I'm 60m close-ish from street cab tap) and just about tolerate the 7.2 to 8dB attenuation without obvious signal degradation. 

HOLISTICALLY:  Connect as SHORT answer, problem on either/both then switch, still a problem then repost and me/someone can talk you thru basic diagnostics to determine variables as per LONG answer. 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
RedBeki
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou very much Tony! Smiley Happy
0 Kudos