Menu
tluffs
Just joined
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

slow tivo box

my tivo box seems to be running very slow and can take upto 5 mins to do anything such as go to my shows  any ideas how i can get it better 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: slow tivo box

Parrotperson wrote:

First if you have a viewing card in the back of the box take it out it's no longer required and can cause problems

second try going to the home screen and pressing thumbs up thumbs down play play on your remote you'll hear a beep and the screen will go blank. When it com s back it should (!) be quicker. It's all relative of course. It'll still be slow compare to other platforms. 

A small, but important, correction to this post.  The key sequence is Home Thumbs down Thumbs up Play Play

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

First if you have a viewing card in the back of the box take it out it's no longer required and can cause problems

second try going to the home screen and pressing thumbs up thumbs down play play on your remote you'll hear a beep and the screen will go blank. When it com s back it should (!) be quicker. It's all relative of course. It'll still be slow compare to other platforms. 

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Did this happen after last week? Virgin applied a major update - i was watching my box as it switched off and did the upgrade on Sunday night at 2-3am i think it was - took 30 mins so was obviously a big un but my box is now slower than molasses even my talktalk box is faster than it now!

I know this might sound funny but have you tried an "IT CROWD" as i call it - switch it off and back on - the caching system seems to slow the box down after 3-4 weeks of being on which isnt unusual for computer controlled systems.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Parrotperson wrote:

A small, but important, correction to this post.  The key sequence is Home Thumbs down Thumbs up Play Play

AdrianWhyte
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What does the "Home Thumbs down Thumbs up Play Play" actually do before I try it
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi AdrianWhyte,

Thanks for posting!

It clears the cache on the TiVo®. Essentially, the TiVo® stores data that it uses fairly often in the cache so it can be called upon quickly. Clearing the cache removes all the background data freeing up some of the TiVo®'s memory.

Hope that helps!  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

raymartin01
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That key press sequence has certainly helped a lot - nowhere near as sluggish now. Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi raymartin01,

So glad that helped!

If you find the TiVo® start slowing down again, just try the same sequence.

All the best  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

At last someone with a good suggestion.

Nice one Dude!

0 Kudos