Menu
3rings
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

slow tivo box

was with Sky, now with Virgin, finding the Tivo box very slow between menu's. Is this normal or do i have a faulty box

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
carlgoss
Up to speed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: slow tivo box

In my recent experience the menu/epg/UI is very sluggish. Some say they have no problems and never have, but many suffer big pauses between graphics redraws and at times scrolling down lists grinds almost to a halt. Whether this sluggishness is down to the hardware, the serving of files from Virgin or a combination of both appears to still be up for debate. Some say a 'dirty' reboot works, pulling the power cord rather than properly shutting down and turning off the power switch ( you wouldn't do it with your PC)  Again in my experience this hasn't helped a great deal. The only thing that I have noticed is the dirty reboot works better if you leave the Tivo unplugged for 5 minutes before plugging back in the power. Things do pick up a bit. Sadly if that clears Tivos head at little, then it isn't long before it's got a real thumping headache again. 

V6
200 Mbps

All Replies
carlgoss
Up to speed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In my recent experience the menu/epg/UI is very sluggish. Some say they have no problems and never have, but many suffer big pauses between graphics redraws and at times scrolling down lists grinds almost to a halt. Whether this sluggishness is down to the hardware, the serving of files from Virgin or a combination of both appears to still be up for debate. Some say a 'dirty' reboot works, pulling the power cord rather than properly shutting down and turning off the power switch ( you wouldn't do it with your PC)  Again in my experience this hasn't helped a great deal. The only thing that I have noticed is the dirty reboot works better if you leave the Tivo unplugged for 5 minutes before plugging back in the power. Things do pick up a bit. Sadly if that clears Tivos head at little, then it isn't long before it's got a real thumping headache again. 

V6
200 Mbps
sharrattm
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

carlgoss' reply is spot on, I've had the problem for almost a year. Often the menus just go slow intermittently, or the box will stop for 5-10s whilst scrolling through my recordings then burst back into life (then jumping rapidly ahead to catch up). other times it will take 10-20 seconds to respond to a button press or to return from a program, or a menu.

there have been several other threads reporting the same problem if you do a search. Virgin will probably check your signal levels, & check the tivo remotely , and say all is ok, then advise you just reboot the Tivo, seems to be the current 'fix' Smiley Sad

p.s. carls advice re a dirty reboot ie pulling the power, whilst isn't usually advisable, did seem to have a better effect (ie for a bit longer) than selecting a reboot from the menus for me. but either way the problem just comes back again after a while.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi 3rings,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that when you navigate around the menu system it's running a bit slow.  I'll be happy to help check this out for you.

I have connected to your box remotely and all looks great from here signal and power level wise.  

Can you please get back to me with the following information so I can help check this further please:

*  Is the box slow when you change channels?

*  Do you get the same slow response when you use the buttons on the front of the box?  (This will rule out a possible faulty remote control)

*  Will the box load an On Demand programme ok?

*  Have you tried powering off/on the box to refresh things?

If you can get back to me please with the above requested information, I'll be happy to help further.

Keep me posted Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos