Menu
Bryzza
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 58
Flag for a moderator

slow TiVo

I too have noticed that since the update? my TiVo box has slowed  down.losing 10-15 seconds while it makes its mind-up whether to move or not.So much for updates.We should have a referendum on all future update ideas.

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 58
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: slow TiVo

i have been following this saga and am still unclear of the bigger picture

is the upgrade still in pilot, or rolling out nationally, or or hold

do all upgraded machines exhibit problems or just an unlucky few

is there any way to see when my machine is scheduled to get this and any way to opt out of it , ( or is the virgin/Tivo equivalent  of the dreaded Windows 10 AU ? )

All Replies
Felicityanne
Tuning in
Message 2 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Same here, for a couple of weeks now. Resetting the box appeared to work for a few hours, then back to 20-plus seconds to do anything, with black screen for at least 10 of them.

Apparent from many comments elsewhere on here that phoning about it will achieve nothing.

This is clearly a widespread problem and surely should be acknowledged somewhere on service status reports?

And FIXED?!

Bryzza
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 58
Flag for a moderator

I was able to contact VirginMedia via the chat option and the problem seems to have been resolved at their end.
Maybe after all its good to talk.
0 Kudos
Felicityanne
Tuning in
Message 4 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, not what customer services bloke said to me earlier while I unplugged it twice...he acknowledged that they are aware the TiVo box is slow and are working to fix it, but it's trial and error (!)

Mine tested no fault, has improved since reset but it did last week too, for about half an hour! He suggested clearing the cache every now and then by doing the thumbs up, thumbs down, play twice quickly thing after which it goes black for about 15 seconds. However, he admitted this isn't a proper fix and that they continue to experiment !

Am apprehensive as he told me mine hasn't yet had the update, and other posts on here mention post-update error message and inability to watch anything apart from live TV...

Bryzza
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 58
Flag for a moderator

That doesn't sound too good. Words are cheap after all.As if that wasn't bad enough. I just lost my internet a couple of times there.Hope they are paying their bills! And to think they intend to hike charges for the third time this year.they seem to have us between a rock and a very hard place.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 58
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i have been following this saga and am still unclear of the bigger picture

is the upgrade still in pilot, or rolling out nationally, or or hold

do all upgraded machines exhibit problems or just an unlucky few

is there any way to see when my machine is scheduled to get this and any way to opt out of it , ( or is the virgin/Tivo equivalent  of the dreaded Windows 10 AU ? )

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear your TiVo® boxes are running slow.

The first thing to try is giving them a reboot to see if this helps. Also, go through your recorded content and remove anything that you no longer want on there. Has this made any difference?

Finally, try this key sequence: Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play. It clears the cache on the TiVo®. Essentially, the TiVo® stores data that it uses fairly often in the cache so it can be called upon quickly. Clearing the cache removes all the background data freeing up some of the TiVo®'s memory.

Give these actions a try and come back and let us know how things go as we're here to help Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

daw123
Tuning in
Message 8 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Kath_F, judging from the number of posts on this, the slowness of the TiVo box is a major problem and VM are burying their heads in the sand if they think these are one-off issues.

From being a longstanding Sky customer and choosing VM because satellite dishes are not allowed at my new house, I sincerely wished I hadn't signed up with VM.

I've only had the box for a few weeks and unfortunately I'm now outside of the 14 day cooling off period.

I wish I had cancelled the contract as I can get broadband from elsewhere and the TV package isn't worth having if it doesn't work.

The TiVo box is so slow that it's unusable and I'm not going to try a half-assed solution of having to regularly reset it or have nothing stored to overcome a fundamental issue with the hardware / software.

It is not fit for purpose, full stop, so what is VM going to do about it?
Felicityanne
Tuning in
Message 9 of 58
Flag for a moderator

As you can see from previous posts, we've done all that. Reboot improves it for a few hours if that, similarly clearing the cache.
daw123
Tuning in
Message 10 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Are VM joking?! They sent an email stating "Congratulations! You have a new rank in the Virgin Media Help & Support Community." yet ignored my post.

I just want them to sort out their slow, almost useless, equipment!

No doubt this post, along with the one above and so many others, will continue to be ignored.