skyQ

Looks like sky are about on TiVo very soon leave virgin media in it wake
0 Kudos
Gordy1965
Rising star
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: skyQ

Yes indeed it all looks very impressive and it seems to be what Tivo should have been when it first came out.

Tivo can do all this but not VM's Tivo, only the mainstream Tivo service in US.

If you go to the Tivo website it shows what it can really do not just what VM have allowed it to do here.

Sky Q looks just like Tivo mainstream service. Main box with mini boxes elsewhere all integrated to record, watch, pause, rewind all your content anywhere in your house. Actually just what Virgin Media can't do.

I will be interested to see how this effects the VM customer churn rates when it comes out.

I for one am very interested.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

An enhanced VM TiVO is in the pipeline. Cant say any more than that at the moment.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Gordy1965
Rising star
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Bolt clone perhaps......

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if the SkyQ streaming of recordings between boxes will be curtailed by the same broadcaster restrictions that are currently in place on VM?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

An enhanced VM TiVO is in the pipeline. Cant say any more than that at the moment.

But is it any good? Something I read elsewhere seems to suggest that VM have still not got it right.

I have stuck by VM and Tivo but I am rapidly losing faith.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
MrSoton
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

How long is the pipe??

SkyQ looks like a game changer, and I certainly wont be committing to VM when my contract is up in Dec.  The Tivo promised so much, on launch, and has failed to live up to its own hype...  Whilst theres no argument that VMs broadband is second to none, and rock solid.. do home users really need more than 100mb? 

Ive read that VM last over 10k TV customers in the last quarter.. they need to be pulling their finger out!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sky still does not have a definite launch date for this piece of kit. My money is on an announcement from VM in the new year

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sky Q HDMI port is 2.0 not 2.0a so it won't do HD at 50 Fps it'll do it at 25 Fps  no dolby atmos planned and not 4k content until late 2016, give Virgin time to bring out a much better product (we hope)

0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

lee1480 wrote:
Looks like sky are about on TiVo very soon leave virgin media in it wake

Well, we have had the hype, we now await the reality, because as weTIVO users know the difference between hype and reality can be  quite traumatic if you believed the hype. Personally I'm not too bothered by the new sky Q,  I am not getting4K anytime soon, as a one person household, multiroom is  irrelevant to me; about the only interest for me is the download ability onto tablets to watch later, or if I am without Internet connection a la SKY-GO; that would be useful. The Sky Q has not even been Priced yet and most commentators say its going to be priced at as a premium service, so it may be prohibitively expensive for those that cant afford current services, same goes forTIVOMk2 , that's likely to be more per month, plus the usual surcharges like install, activation and probably a4K charge. As with everything in Digital Media, more whizz bangs, means more pounds per month.

0 Kudos