Menu
rouneh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

since software update tivo 2hr sleep leaves tv awake

Hi, i looked through forums but didnt see anyone else mention this effect since the software update last week.

i have my tivo set to sleep after 2hrs of inactivity, in the past when it had gone into standby my tv would say "no signal" and the tv would itself turn to standby after 10 minutes (its an LG 32" lcd)

since the update the tivo goes to sleep after 2hrs as before, but the tv remains on with a black screen, it also does the same when tivo is manually switched to standby, other devices on poweroff display "no signal" as usual!

any ideas how to resolve this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
rouneh
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: since software update tivo 2hr sleep leaves tv awake

no one else have this problem?
:-(
0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

First I've seen I'm afraid. Is it worth checking your tv settings? Or re set the TiVo settings then reboot t then out it back to sleep after two hours? Just a thought. Probably won't work but worth a try

0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I pointed the problem out shortly after the new software update. Nobody took me seriously either.

Yet another function to be added to the increasing list of things you can't use on this dreadfully bloated box. Soon Tivo 'vm style' will only just be fit as a ridiculously slow and basic STB.

Too many "updates" have seriously disabled this box so that many of its advertised features no longer work even if you were initially lucky enough to live in in an area not affected by the "utilisation" congestion of their oversubscribed network.

Even basic access to iPlayer didn't function properly for me when I first subscribed. 

As usual silence is the official response.....what problem? Tivo is the best way to access all your favourites. Tivo gives you access to X Y Z. Well we the consumers don't think so. In my experience it has always been a hit and miss basic service for which we pay a premium price.

The VM forum team and moderators line is that as there are only a "few people posting" it must be something not set up right in the individual tivo box. Due to "lack of evidence" they work on the false assumption that the great majority of their boxes are working as advertised.

Is it time to instigate a "class action" lawsuit against VM who charge us for access to products which they cannot provide and we cannot use?

I would think that there could possibly be a strong case for, at the very least, fraudulent advertising and non fulfillment of contract.

Any lawyers out there prepared to confirm this?

0 Kudos
ajp
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem as well. Not found a solution yet. Any Ideas? ajp

0 Kudos
rouneh
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ive tried different hdmi cables in different ports, havent reset tivo box due to alot of shows i havent viewed yet on the hardrive.
the box isnt going to sleep as it used to, the tv is receiving a signal from it albeit a black screen.

if i can find a scart lead i might try it on that and see if the same thing happens.

as it stands ive had to use the tv's sleep timer due to the black screen costing the same electricity as viewing tv does.

could anyone reading this thread confirm that on standby the tivo box transmits a black screen? i believe it does it anyway so the issue isn't sleep mode related. thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It may be that I am out of date or old fashioned, but I find the easiest way to turn the TV off when I am not watching it is to press the standby key on the remote.  The TiVo even allows you to programme it so that it controls the TV on/off and volume functions so you can do this with just the one remote.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

state your make + model of TV - then maybe some kind person with same will test.

our newish TVs don't switch off auto anyway ( well not for a minimum of 2 hours) - if source is off/asleep  they just show a " weak signal or no connection" message .. So if I have been using PC with TV, I can't just sleep the PC, I have to manually sleep the TV also - 1st world problemsSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My TV has never gone off automatically at the same timewhen I put TiVo into standby - although you can programme the standby button on the TiVo remote to do both.

My tv has a 15 minute 'no signal' switchoff setting - so goes off 15 minutes later unless I force it.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
rouneh
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:

It may be that I am out of date or old fashioned, but I find the easiest way to turn the TV off when I am not watching it is to press the standby key on the remote.  The TiVo even allows you to programme it so that it controls the TV on/off and volume functions so you can do this with just the one remote.

that`s very well and good but this specific change in the box`s behavior is since the firmware update. if no one is watching the tv for 2 hours (can you press standby if you fall asleep watching it?) the box would go into standby mode, thus not sending a signal to the tv i have (http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-32LD490-lcd-tv an LG 32LD490 as someone suggested posting) but since the firmware update it does indeed go to standby, but in standby it is sending a signal albeit a black screen to the tv still, before firmware update it didn`t send any signal thus my tv displays "no signal" and would in turn go to standby after 10 minutes

having the backlight always on wastes electricity. ive tested going into tivo settings and rebooting it will display "no signal" on my tv for a short time before bootup.

it`s powersaving mode saves me zero power i have to use the tv`s sleep timer currently....

0 Kudos