Menu
sillysod
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

optical output on samsung tivo box current status

Hello everyone,

I have a Samsung Tivo box connected to my old Sony Bravia via a HDMI cable. There is no HDMI ARC or optical connections on this TV. I am mulling over the purchase of a Sony sound base which comes with an optical connector cable. Ideally I'd like to connect this to the optical connector on the back of the Tivo box so I can control the sound base with the Tivo remote control but I have heard this optical connector no longer works. Is this true?

Kind regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: optical output on samsung tivo box current status

AFAIK the optical out does work on both the cisco and samsung TiVo boxes.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

AMWSmith wrote:

AFAIK the optical out does work on both the cisco and samsung TiVo boxes.

Not exactly true the optical output fails on the samsung if you pause or change channels if it's set to dolby (the whole point of buying a sound system) and this fault has been "looked into" for nearly a year, works fine on the cisco boxes though

0 Kudos
sillysod
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies. So, if I keep it set to Dolby PCM, as it is now, there's no problem? Truth is, I just want to hear speech more clearly - I'm 65 - and am not really interested in mega bass explosions etc. ATM I have the TV set to max treble and min bass. I'm not even sure the higher frequency speakers in a sound base will be any improvement on the speakers in the TV as the speakers on this 6 year old Bravia are at least on the bottom of the set pointed to the viewer and seem to have around 3 inches depth. According to the tech. specs. they have 10 watts per channel. Some of the sound boxes I've seen are only about 2 inches high and deep!

0 Kudos