Menu
jedeye67
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

noisy tivo box

Hi. I've just had a tivo box installed 4 days ago and am finding it has an irritating noise from hard drive. Is this normal?
0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: noisy tivo box

Where is it situated? Sometimes putting foam under it helps but there are a number of recent posts on here re noisy boxes (hard drive noise). I'm beginning to wonder if there's a batch of boxes out there with different hard drives that are significantly louder than previous ones. 

0 Kudos
jedeye67
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi I've had foam underneath pieces of felt and even a test owed but it's still noisy. It's situated in a wooden tv stand . I've had a sky box for 8 years with no noise. Maybe it is a faulty batch
0 Kudos
jedeye67
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've tried all the solutions suggested by everyone but the noise still persists. I don't think a new box should make any significant irritating noise. I've had all different types of equipment with hard drives and they've all been silent. Every person who has visited this week has noticed this noise. I think I will ask virgin to swap the box and see if a new one has the same problem
0 Kudos
MichaelWall
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was given a 1TB Cisco TiVo box and it makes a high pitched sound. Gets right on your wick. It's the cheap HDD inside spinning.
Got Virgin coming out this morning to replace, but not just because of the noise. Also have HDMI Interface issues where bad signal is sent out if the box and into the receiving HDMI port causing loss of picture at times.

I would call Virgin and ask for a new box.
Good luck!
0 Kudos
jedeye67
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've read so many threads on this forum regarding this noise issue I would have thought virgin might be on the case trying to fix this problem. When researching as to whether to change from sky to virgin all the advertising pointed to how good the tivo box was regarding it's innovative capabilities. Maybe they should have looked at the noise problem. Only had box for 1 week.... not happy!!
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jedeye67,

Thank you for taking the time out to reach the Community and Team. 

I'm sorry to read that the TiVo has been noisy. I've been trying to test the connection but the box may have been turned off. Can you tell me if this is turned on currently and at the time of my message?

Take care and speak to you soon.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
jedeye67
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben
Thanks for replying my box is currently turned on but wasn't at the time of the message. It is on in the morning early afternoon and all evening from 6.00 onwards. Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi jedeye67

Thanks for getting back to us to let us know that the box is on, I've been able to run some tests on it this morning and we're not seeing any individual issue with the TiVo box at the moment. 

As you've let us know, in detail what you've already been able to try. I'd like to escalate this to allow us to take a closer look. I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, you can read the message by clicking the red envelope on the top left of this page.

Sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused, we'll speak soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jedeye67
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Got new box installed,very quiet. Good service.
0 Kudos