Menu
wb123
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

neighbour feed from my connection box

Today when I was in my front garden, I noticed my virgin media box lid came off, and was on the grass, all the wires were loose hanging out, and it is a botched job.  

I realised two wires from next door were connected to my VM box without my knowledge, surely, the engineer were not doing their job properly and connected to the VM box without my knowledge.  In addition, the engineer also trespassed my property without my permission . The wires connection points were supposed in the box, were hanging out and got all wet. 

I contacted the virgin media, told them I do not want next door's connected to my box and requested them to put the box lid back on properly and told them to remove next door's wires connected to my VM box.

They advised me the connection box is their property, if I removed next doors connection wire, I will get fine. I told them I do not care, I do not want their VM connection feed from my box to slow my connection down.

They said they will get the engineer out just to put the lid back on the box, they will not remove next door's connection as it is VM's property. and said it is temporary but could not tell me when they will remove next door's wires.  Of course, I am not happy about it, as my internet is so slow already, sometimes, I get no internet connection.

Virgin Media admitted before, they oversubscribed it. (I live near the University, so when ever students use the internet after 5pm, my internet connection is very, very slow. sometimes got none. I pay for the fastest connection, but most time I get 1-2 Mb.

Please advise what to do about it as I really want it to resolve and it is making me stressed. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: neighbour feed from my connection box

it will not slow your connection down. and the box is VM so you shouldn;t modify it.

You can call in and see if they can get a engineer to run a new cable but it wont make any differance all that is in the green box is basicly a splitter so its going to be split the same weather from the box or your box.

Hope you dont get on with your neighbour as you are about to tell VM to disconnect there TV and internet if i was them i'd not be very happy if you did that.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: neighbour feed from my connection box

Piggy back connections can cause issues, but if you are fairly close to the cabinet you can get away with connections like this. VM can drive 4 TV boxes & a hub from most connections within about 100m of a cabinet, so you may see no difference. Also the 2 storey flats opposite me have all the top floors fed like this. Issues will show up as dropped TV channels as well as internet problems.

Having said that, with adjacent properties a seperate drop should always be installed.

Over-utilisation is resolved by re-segmenting the network (connecting cabinets in smaller groups to the area nodes & CMTS) not by removing shared connections, as you are all fighting for the same bandwidth no matter how you are connected to the cabinet.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos