Menu
ewokuk
Joining in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

lip sync issues

I seem to have pretty bad sound sync issues on my Tivo box and I am baffled as to why.  I have proved it is nothing to do with the tv (which is a brand new Samsung JS9500) or the cables.  My Tivo is connected directly to the tv and I am using the tv speakers.

I have no sound issues with my BD player sound, and I have tried a new HDMI cable.  It does not happen all the time on every channel, right now ITV HD which I rarely watch seems ok, but E4 and Dave which I watch often were both terrible earlier and have been very often lately.  I first noticed it a few weeks ago, it MAY have been there longer but I doubt it, sometimes it ends up so far out of sync the sound must be a good half second or more ahead of the picture, its like watching an old poorly dubbed film.  I put the tv into gaming mode to see if it was the tv's processing slowing it down, it made no difference (as expected).  There doesnt seem to be a link between HD or SD, I have seen both significantly out of sync from the Tivo box.

Just now watching Dave HD, the sound seemed slightly out of sync on one advert, then the next advert was for storage hunters UK and it must have been at least half a second out.  Now ice road truckers comes back on and the sync is not nearly as far out as it was in the storage hunters advert!

A quick google seems to suggest this is a very long running and very common problem with Virgin.  There is nothing else I can try on my end, it appears to either be something going on with this Tivo box or some setting or other at Virgin's end that needs sorting out.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: lip sync issues

Hi Ewokuk,

Welcome back to the Community, I can see it's been a little while since you last popped in for a chat.

I'm sorry to learn about the lip syncing you're experiencing on the TiVo and thank you for your detailed message on what you've done and found. 

I would like to ask if this is happening during certain times of the day and also if this is not just happening on live TV but also on Recorded programs and the On Demand content? I have done some preliminary checks and your stats so far are looking really healthy, so nothing to point out just yet. I would suggest rebooting the TiVo from the back of the box so I may keep an eye on any new data being sent to us. 

Many thanks so far and I'll look forward to speaking to you again soon. 

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
ewokuk
Joining in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Just restarted the tivo box from the switch on the back.  It does not happen during any specific times, itll do it during the day or during peak time in the evening.  Right now it is happening quite badly on top gear on channel 129 and I have only just rebooted it and switched to this channel to record it and see if it appears this way on the recordings, this should be a good test since its pretty bad watching it live now so I can see if the recording comes out the same.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hey Ewokuk,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon and also rebooting the box.

I've just dropped in not long after you have rebooted and there is a whiff of a couple of timeouts already. With this being seen now I'd like to keep monitoring the service and if still these continue throughout the evening, I'll arrange an engineer to come out. 

Keep in touch and if possible, can you keep an eye on this for the next 24 hours? 

Thank you.

Ben

0 Kudos
ewokuk
Joining in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I will be keeping an eye on it by default as its quite hard not to notice it!  I just tested the recording and it is showing the same sync problem on the recording.

It doesnt happen on all channels all the time, I get the impression some channels are worse than others (hard to know for sure), right now bbc1 on 108 is showing a slight lag, less than 129 was.  I also get the impression even during watching a show, it can get worse and then a bit better and then worse again during it but it is rarely perfectly in sync (I have noticed it being perfectly in sync sometimes though so it's not like it never happens, but it rarely stays that way).

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ewokuk, 

Thank you for coming back and replying, I'm sorry I haven't been in sooner to speak to you. I've been looking at these timeouts and to be fair, these aren't amounting to enough to point out what the direct cause is. 

I would still like to help and I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Get back to me when you can.

Ben

0 Kudos
ewokuk
Joining in
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Just got home to find that I cannot get any channel at all on the tv.  Every channel is saying "This channel is currently unavailable".  Never had this before.  I doubt it is related as the sync issue has been ongoing for months now but it seems a slight coincidence that an engineer is coming to look at it on Saturday and suddenly I can't get any channels at all (service status page indicates no issues and internet is working ok).

Edit: I restarted the box and it seems to be back again.  Still this has never happened before, I wonder if some work was done in the area causing it to need a reset, maybe work which might solve the sound issues?, I will have to good look now!

Edit 2: Damn that didn't take long, tried channel 129 and straight away it is worse than I have ever seen it!  There must be getting on for a whole second of delay between sound and picture now, definitely worse than I have seen it before.  Coincidence? hmmmm

0 Kudos
ewokuk
Joining in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

It wont let me edit that post any further but...

Tried 115 (ITV2), sync pretty bad on there too but not as bad as 129 (Dave deja vu).

108 (BBC1 HD), cant see any sync problem at all. From what I have seen the HD channels seem to have a lot less of the sync issue than SD channels.

Oddly, tried 162 (BBC2 HD) and Russell Howard seemed to have good sound sync, until it cut to an old news report clip where suddenly the sound was WAY out of sync with the picture again, until the second it cut back to Russell Howard where it was fine again.  Now Russell Howard is finished Newsnight is on the its slighly out of sync.  All VERY odd.

0 Kudos
ewokuk
Joining in
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Engineer came today.  He said it is usually the HDMI cable or the box.  I had already tried another HDMI cable and he has replaced the box but it has made no difference.  He said he will have to talk to the network team on Monday and see if they can look at it on their end as it cannot be anything here, we have ruled out the tv, the HDMI cable and the tivo box.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ewokuk, 

Thank you for your update on the engineer Smiley Happy

I'm glad that there's been some work to diagnose the issue at hand. My hunch was this may be a network related and with the engineer saying the same that is quite promising. 

I'd like to stay with you on this and with the engineer already been and gone, he should have mentioned he'll get back in touch soon with an update or mention to call in?

I hope that it was a speedy visit and didn't take too much of your time, if you need anything in addition to this, please let me know Smiley Happy

Take care.

Ben

0 Kudos