Menu
jaybeegee
Just joined
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

just had a tivo but the plug has a label on it saying " only for use with superhub" will it be ok?

just had a new tivo but the plug has a label on it saying somthing along the lines of "only for use with superhub" Will this be ok with the tivo?

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: just had a tivo but the plug has a label on it saying " only for use with superhub" will it

Personally I would be seriously concerned about that and would turn it off and unplug it immediately. How many amps does it say on the label?

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
jaybeegee
Just joined
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: just had a tivo but the plug has a label on it saying " only for use with superhub" will it

Thanks for reply, only noticed this after i'd set it up and was tidying the cables. In work at the mo but will check on amps later. Cheers

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

2.5A or less, I would not leave on, unsupervised. 2.0A is on the limit and is inviting trouble and needs switching off immediately. Less than 2.0A, call the Daily Mail. It depends which superhub it came from. The correct Tivo ones are 3.0 or 3.25 AFAIK. (underrated power supplies are dangerous)

Regardless of the amperage, I don't recommend ignoring warning labels.

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion.

0 Kudos
jaybeegee
Just joined
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ta, have had it unplugged all day, don't fancy going home to a burnt down house. Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there jaybeegee, 

I'd like to welcome you to the forums and say that I totally understand your concerns regarding this. 

I've done some digging around on this, and it does appear that some customers have received a power adapter like the one you have described with their new TiVo®. 

I've been advised that there is no need to be concerned as these adapters work on the same voltage as the TiVo® and are perfectly safe to use. 

Apologies for any worries this may have caused. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Huw_B wrote:

Hi there jaybeegee, 

I'd like to welcome you to the forums and say that I totally understand your concerns regarding this. 

I've done some digging around on this, and it does appear that some customers have received a power adapter like the one you have described with their new TiVo®. 

I've been advised that there is no need to be concerned as these adapters work on the same voltage as the TiVo® and are perfectly safe to use. 

Apologies for any worries this may have caused. 

Huw

In the interest of safety I am obliged to point out that there is more to it than just voltage. They may both be 12 volt but if the power adapter is not designed to provide sufficient power (amps) for the tivo, then all sorts of unpredictable faults may occur and there is a risk the adapter could overheat and start a fire. However, IF your advisor's have taken all of this into account then so be it, although personally I would be checking with my insurance company and my local fire station rather than relying on an internet post. I would not be ignoring written safety instructions when it comes to a potential safety hazard. No offence intended and my comments are based on not knowing the amperage of the specific adapter being discussed!

0 Kudos