Menu
dannii1234
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

im new to virgin media my tivo is really slow

Can anyone help please my TiVo is really slow when trying to do anything on it my vhd box works great it just my TiVo it will take upto 1 minute to go on demand or catch up and sometimes goes really slow when changing channels or pressing tv guide on remote I have reset the TiVo 3 times and it still does the same wont be happy staying with virgin if it niot sorted soon as It really is frustrating now only been with virgin media for 3 weeks

0 Kudos
lyndaa
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: im new to virgin media my tivo is really slow

Sadly this is normal. It's not improved in the several years that I've had it. I think regardless of which TV provider you go with, there will always be different issues. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi dannii1234,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having TiVo® trouble.

Here's something you can try to help speed up the TiVo® box. First, switch the box off at the mains, leave it of for a minute then switch it back on.

Once the box has booted back up, go to the Home screen. Then, on the remote control press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds. Once the screen has come back on, you should notice the box speed up!

This process clears unnecessary background data from the box, much like clearing the cache on a web browser. If you feel the box start to slow down at all, you can repeat this process.

Hope this helps! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
jtodat
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This is not something that the end user should have to do in order to have a normally functioning box, nor is it a viable solution long-term. What is being done by VM to solve this issue permanently?

I am also a new customer, and am really disappointed with the Tivo service. The menus interface is so user unfriendly and inconsistent, but the biggest problem is the lag that comes with navigating around the awful menus. I don't even attempt to use the catch-up services or Netflix since the loading times are ridiculously long.

BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Also doing a reboot clears the box. Doing the Thumbs and Play thing is only doing part of the job a reboot does so doing them immediately after is not helping anything.

Totally agree though they have admitted there is an issue a month ago and still no closer to a fix.
Customers should not be doing little patch ups to make it work anywhere near acceptable
0 Kudos
jtodat
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How is the "thumbs and play thing" different from the "clear thumb ratings & suggestions" option in the Tivo settings? Also, if I don't use the thumb business, and have turned off suggestions, then why should this fix make my Tivo box quicker?

Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jtodat,

Thank you for coming in and posting for the first time, welcome in Smiley Happy

I can see you've had some help in the slowness of the TiVo you may be experiencing, I was able to look into the services and found that there are some signal levels on all services in the home would need looking into and isn't something I can resolve from here.

I'd like to book an engineer for you, If you can have a little look inside your 'Inbox', you'll see I've sent you a 'Private Message'. You can find this at the top right of the page, purple envelope Smiley Happy

Keep in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos