Menu
sarah291
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

iPlayer

My BBC iplayer has recently been virtually unwatcheable. Constant buffering , stops playing etc. Have now phoned 3 times in a week to be told each time that there is work in the area and 'the engineers are working hard to fix it' ....I have also had 3 separate emails telling me it is fixed. It isn't. Is there actually anything Virgin does to fix this problem or is it just a fob off answer to anyone who phones to say it is going to be fixed? Very frustrating. I suspect it is the usual, if I wanted to watch catch up at 3am it would be fine but at 'busy' times ie when most folk want to watch, it wont work. Any advice??

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: iPlayer

Sarah I feel for you as the exact same thing kept happening to me.
I guess you mean the iPlayer through Tivo you mean is really bad?
I know this is not ideal and it means extra cost for something you are already paying for but I ended up getting an Amazon Firestick and it has always worked perfectly when using iPlayer.
It plugs in to your HDMI has the iPlayer app and you will usually find your broadband is could enough to deal with it.

I had to use this option for months as I kept getting new review dates of my service and more my wife than me was getting fed up with it.
It went on for over a year for me so good luck to you.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi sarah291,

A warm welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that the BBC iPlayer isn't working too well for you lately.  I have taken a look into this to find out what's been happening. 

I can confirm there is high demand affecting the network you are connected to at the moment.  This is currently being worked on by our network engineers and may take some times to resolve.  We're expecting a review by the 24th Feb, if the issue hasn't improved by then , please don't hesitate to give us a shout and request an update.  The reference number for this is: F003131396.  This will impact on all Apps used via the TiVo® box.

The high demand issue, due to the nature of the work required to alleviate high demand on the network, can take some time to resolve I can assure you we will work to make the necessary improvements to resolve this.

If you need anything else in the meantime, give us a shout.  We're here to help if you need us.

All the best,

Collette Smiley Happy 

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sarah291
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Collette.

My issue with Virgin media is that I have been getting told the same thing for many months now. The last 'big fix' I was told about was scheduled for November and if it happened it made no difference at all. In addition, any time I phone  to report this ongoing issue,the stock answer is that it will be sorted by the next day. Last time I phoned, the woman promised me , her words, not mine that the fault would be repaired by the next day. This is simply not true and the staff should not be using the word promise when they cant deliver . Any time I phone, my sense is that there is a script which they work through, which finishes with assurances it will be repaired in 24 hours. A straightforward search on this forum would show it is a long standing problem Virgin media has with BBC iPlayer so why the pretence?!I'll not be holding my breath for a perfect service on the 25th Feb but hope to be proved wrong. To be repeatedly told that a service which can't deliver most of the time I want to use  it,has been repaired when it hasn't is extremely irritating and has me considering a new service provider.

0 Kudos
sarah291
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't look like anything has changed at all! Has this repair that was mentioned actually happened??

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi sarah291,

Thanks for getting back to us.  I'm sorry to hear this has not been resolved yet.

I have checked on the latest regarding reference number F003131396 and work has been extended till the 11th May 16.

I know this won't be the news you were hoping for.  There are various reasons that these issues can take longer than planned.  Our engineers are still working to resolve this as soon as they can.

Please to do get back to us and request an update if by the 11th May things haven't improved by then.  Thank you for your ongoing patience.

Collette.

0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sarah I feel for you as the exact same thing kept happening to me.
I guess you mean the iPlayer through Tivo you mean is really bad?
I know this is not ideal and it means extra cost for something you are already paying for but I ended up getting an Amazon Firestick and it has always worked perfectly when using iPlayer.
It plugs in to your HDMI has the iPlayer app and you will usually find your broadband is could enough to deal with it.

I had to use this option for months as I kept getting new review dates of my service and more my wife than me was getting fed up with it.
It went on for over a year for me so good luck to you.
0 Kudos
sarah291
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that suggestion BinghamBloke. Yes it's the iPlayer through Tivo which is most of the time unwatcheable. I'm fed up getting told it will be fixed and then it remains just as bad so may well just do what you did. Thanks for your advice!

0 Kudos
mark_abingdon
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I also have an unwatchable iPlayer through TIVO - constant buffering. I have written two complaint emails on this with no reply from Virgin. Shocking service. The shoddy iPlayer buffering is enough to tempt me back to SKY unless it is resolved quickly.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi mark_abingdon,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear about the trouble you've had with the iPlayer service. I've located your account and sent a signal to your TiVo® to try and resolve the issue.

Could you check the TiVo® for me to see if it's worked?

Also, I've checked the notes on your account and a letter has been sent out today by post regarding your complaint.

Look forward to hearing from you!  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

0 Kudos
sarah291
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi mark_abingdon,

I completely gave up on the problem being fixed after so many assurances and promises of upgrades etc etc and no change whatsoever so bought a Fire stick as recommended. Works perfectly every time. If Virgin Media actually do ever get  round to getting the iPlayer problem solved then I'll be delighted but it has been going on for literally years for me now so enough's enough....

Good Luck!! 

0 Kudos