Menu
pinball13
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

iPlayer

Like many others on here I have intermittent issues with the BBC iPlayer app on TiVo. I see from other threads that VM are carrying out upgrades in certain areas to fix this problem. Can I find out if anything in my area has been done or is planned?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
g4r37h
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: iPlayer

Hello. I left the BBC around 18 months ago and haven't been involved with iPlayer or any other BBC product/service since, so I haven't been here to see what users are saying about the apps for quite some time. Having decided to check out the forum tonight just to see what has changed, I must say I'm surprised to see a thread that is virtually identical to hundreds of others that have been posted on here since at least 2012.

The support team seem keen to point the finger at congestion which I find pretty strange. I mean, if we assume that congestion is to blame, I'm not sure why this is being presented so casually as an excuse given that the TiVo's dedicated internet connection should be sufficient to deliver iPlayer streams with ease. Personally, if I worked for a media provider that couldn't deliver media because of congestion on its own network then I wouldn't be so flippant about such a fundamental failure - and if I was a customer who was paying for a media service that couldn't provide media because of network congestion then I would be kicking up all kinds of fuss.

There is however the possibility that you are being led down the garden path here (not necessarily intentionally!) because as you can see on these forums there has been an issue with iPlayer (and the other BBC services) on the TiVo network for many years and congestion certainly wasn't the root cause. Of course it's possible that this issue has finally been resolved and that congestion truly is the cause of your specific problems, but I guess it's also possible that it has not. Either way, I might have expected the support staff to at least mention the issue given the similarity in symptoms - even if only to put your mind at ease on the assumption that you would read some of the other similar threads on here - and I find it a little strange that they have not. There could be a perfectly logical explanation for this, but I'd say it's worth asking about it just in case.

On the bright side, iPlayer (and the other BBC services) should work fine on any other device you have because the TiVo uses its own network and your other devices will be using your standard broadband.

ASHMARK
Up to speed
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As mentioned on a similar thread, this used to be a perennial problem all over these forums and I ended up not using the bbc iplayer for years.

However, eventually following a lot of whinging from me, a few engineers visits, some new cables, and some attention from the boffins at hq, it seems to be sorted out.

So my advice is use the fault help system (on the phone (150) or online) and  be persistent if it keeps happening.

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi pinball13,

Thanks for coming by and I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing issues with BBC iPlayer being intermittent.  I'd like to help check this out for you.

I have taken a look at your box remotely and signal/power level wise all looks great.  There is some high demand occurring on the network you're connected to however these are within acceptable levels right now.  This will be getting monitored incase the situation worsens and steps will be taken to help improve the situation and stop from getting worse.

I'd like to know more about the fault you are getting if that's ok?  Is it the BBC iPlayer is slow, do you get buffering issues?  If you can let me know more of the symptoms you're getting I can check this further for you.

I look forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
pinball13
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well, sometimes it works fine, other times the program stops altogether, mainly it keeps pausing. Problems don't only occur at peak times. It's bad enough that I generally try to avoid using it.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi pinball13,

Thank you for your reply and providing more detail of the symptoms you're getting.

I have checked this over a bit more and nothing has changed in regards to the signal/power levels, they're still all fine Smiley Happy

The high demand occurring has improved slightly but I suspect this is not the primary cause of the issue. Can you please let me know if this will happen when you use Netflix or YouTube via the TiVo®?

Keep me posted on how things are going Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
pinball13
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I don't have Netflix, with YouTube I get occasional stutters but I don't really use that either.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pinball13,

Thank you for your reply back and also letting us know about what you've tried Smiley Happy

I've been testing the connection and TV services in the home, everything is still looking good and I'd like to know if there has been any change since you last spoke to us?

I'll look forward to hearing from you soon and take care.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
pinball13
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Tried iPlayer again last night at about 20:30 (peak time I guess) but gave up 5 minutes in after it was stuck on the 'spinner' again. Tried again a few hours later though and it was fine. I've previously had problems at all times of day though.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi pinball13,

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

It looks as though there may well be some disruption issues at peak times although this isn't high enough to raise as a fault currently. 

We will continue to monitor this and as soon as it reaches the thresholds, we will raise it straight up. 

In the meantime try and avoid peak times and remember you can catch up via a PC / Laptop via TV Anywhere here too: anywhere.virginmedia.com

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

0 Kudos
g4r37h
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello. I left the BBC around 18 months ago and haven't been involved with iPlayer or any other BBC product/service since, so I haven't been here to see what users are saying about the apps for quite some time. Having decided to check out the forum tonight just to see what has changed, I must say I'm surprised to see a thread that is virtually identical to hundreds of others that have been posted on here since at least 2012.

The support team seem keen to point the finger at congestion which I find pretty strange. I mean, if we assume that congestion is to blame, I'm not sure why this is being presented so casually as an excuse given that the TiVo's dedicated internet connection should be sufficient to deliver iPlayer streams with ease. Personally, if I worked for a media provider that couldn't deliver media because of congestion on its own network then I wouldn't be so flippant about such a fundamental failure - and if I was a customer who was paying for a media service that couldn't provide media because of network congestion then I would be kicking up all kinds of fuss.

There is however the possibility that you are being led down the garden path here (not necessarily intentionally!) because as you can see on these forums there has been an issue with iPlayer (and the other BBC services) on the TiVo network for many years and congestion certainly wasn't the root cause. Of course it's possible that this issue has finally been resolved and that congestion truly is the cause of your specific problems, but I guess it's also possible that it has not. Either way, I might have expected the support staff to at least mention the issue given the similarity in symptoms - even if only to put your mind at ease on the assumption that you would read some of the other similar threads on here - and I find it a little strange that they have not. There could be a perfectly logical explanation for this, but I'd say it's worth asking about it just in case.

On the bright side, iPlayer (and the other BBC services) should work fine on any other device you have because the TiVo uses its own network and your other devices will be using your standard broadband.

pinball13
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I tried again a few times over the Christmas break, but I'm still experiencing the same problems even outside peak times. I just avoid using the service now since there are other options, would be nice if it worked though.
0 Kudos