Menu
jdc22
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

iPlayer frustrations

Hi 

Apart from general slowness of the TiVO box (which was improved recently when a Virgin engineer switched off recommendations for me), everything seems to be working more-or-less ok, with the exception of the iPlayer app. I can't seem to watch a single programme without it stopping to buffer. Sometimes it will go 20-30 minutes fine, then suddenly it'll stop, the spinning wheel will appear, and it will start playing again.A couple of minutes later it'll do the same, and carry on like this until the end of the programme. It's really frustrating! All the other on demand services (Netflix etc) seem to work fine, and the iPlayer app on other platforms (iPad, Now TV, Smart TV) has no problem at all, so it seems to be unique to the TiVo's iPlayer app. I can also watch iPlayer catch-up content on my separate V+HD box without the same problem (although the picture does have an annoying tendancy to stutter regularly while the audio is ok).

On other occasions, iPlayer programmes fail to play at all; the spinning wheel goes round for a couple of minutes then I get an error from the app telling me to check my internet connection (which is always fine and everything else is working, it's just the iPlayer).

Anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPlayer frustrations

I would be tempted to get your signal levels checked, as the Internet modem in the TiVO may be struggling. Most TiVO modems use an earlier DOCSIS version with a different headend system, which might explain why your Smart TV's iPlayer works better. The V+HD boxes have no modem, so use Virgin's own server system to stream content to the box as a unique temporary channel only being received by that box. This is why the selection of programmes differs between the TiVO (which connects directly to the BBC internet servers) & the V+.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPlayer frustrations

Hi jdc22

I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing trying to watch iPlayer on your TiVo service lately.

I've located your account to run some tests on the set top box from our end and we're not seeing any problems at the moment, there are zero errors being returnedMan Happy

With that in mind, can I ask how long you've been experiencing this issue for? Do you use any other applications on the TiVo? If so, how are they working?

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos