Menu
ASHMARK
Up to speed
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

how do i record a second showing to avoid a clash on the first showing

I have a series link for the walking dead on Monday nights but it clashes with three other recorded shows which take priority.

There is a subsequent repeat on Fox HD early on Tuesday mornings and I would like to series link that showing only, but cant see how.  I have to set it on each individual recording manually.

I am sure you could do that on the V+ box.

Please help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
japitts
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: how do i record a second showing to avoid a clash on the first showing

I'm not sure which channels show this program, so the advice will be generic. Remember with the V+, series links were for that specific timeslot. Tivo works the other way and picks up the first available showing on that channel. So if you're trying to set, say, showing 3 on channel x as a link but the Tivo sees that it could record showing 2 that was 4 hours previous (for arguments' sake), it will record that one instead.

Your trick will be to make sure that if a show goes out on 2 channels, make sure the channel you prefer has it's series link higher in your priority list - that way, TIvo should only trigger the second "channel" if the first one fails.

I think that makes sense....

0 Kudos
mike_gain
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ASHMARK wrote:

I have a series link for the walking dead on Monday nights but it clashes with three other recorded shows which take priority.

There is a subsequent repeat on Fox HD early on Tuesday mornings and I would like to series link that showing only, but cant see how.  I have to set it on each individual recording manually.

Please help.

The Tivo will sort this out by itself. 

Go to the Main menu and press "2". this will take you to the planned recordings screen. You should see the Tuesday Morning recording being scheduled (with the Monday night broadcast being greyed out in the list)

This assumes you have set up the 3 other recordings, forcing the Walking Dead to be recorded at the next available slot. With the Tivo you don't have to manually setup the alternative recordings, the box will work it out for itself.

My general advice is to have series links on the terestrial channels at the top of the priority list and everything else I pretty much leave as is. Most of the channels such as Fox, SyFy, Sky etc... have repeat showings that will be picked up automatically by the box.

In future if you are setting a series link and get a clash warning for a show on a channel you know repeats the broadcasts, just select the "Get Series Link as Shown" option. this will let the box work thinks out. Choosing the "Get ALL" option pushes the new series link to the top of the priority list.

Hope that helps.

All Replies
japitts
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm not sure which channels show this program, so the advice will be generic. Remember with the V+, series links were for that specific timeslot. Tivo works the other way and picks up the first available showing on that channel. So if you're trying to set, say, showing 3 on channel x as a link but the Tivo sees that it could record showing 2 that was 4 hours previous (for arguments' sake), it will record that one instead.

Your trick will be to make sure that if a show goes out on 2 channels, make sure the channel you prefer has it's series link higher in your priority list - that way, TIvo should only trigger the second "channel" if the first one fails.

I think that makes sense....

0 Kudos
mike_gain
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ASHMARK wrote:

Please help.

The Tivo will sort this out by itself. 

Go to the Main menu and press "2". this will take you to the planned recordings screen. You should see the Tuesday Morning recording being scheduled (with the Monday night broadcast being greyed out in the list)

This assumes you have set up the 3 other recordings, forcing the Walking Dead to be recorded at the next available slot. With the Tivo you don't have to manually setup the alternative recordings, the box will work it out for itself.

My general advice is to have series links on the terestrial channels at the top of the priority list and everything else I pretty much leave as is. Most of the channels such as Fox, SyFy, Sky etc... have repeat showings that will be picked up automatically by the box.

In future if you are setting a series link and get a clash warning for a show on a channel you know repeats the broadcasts, just select the "Get Series Link as Shown" option. this will let the box work thinks out. Choosing the "Get ALL" option pushes the new series link to the top of the priority list.

Hope that helps.