Menu
tedweston
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

how do I connect sony DS6500 headphones to my tivo box with optical lead

How do I connect my Sony MDR DS6500 surround sound headphones to the Tivo box preferably allowing the present sound from the TV to continue but can be turned down.

Thanks

Ted.

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: how do I connect sony DS6500 headphones to my tivo box with optical lead

If you have the old Tivo firmware then just plug in to the optical out at the back of Tivo and it will work and independently of the tv volume as you require. If you have the new firmware, being rolled out during the past month, then it will not work as they have broken the optical output. If you do not have the new firmware yet then it is anyone's guess whether you will have it soon, because Virgin Media are refusing to answer this question. Go to the Help & Settings - System Info menu to see Software Version. If it starts 20.4.3 it works, 20.4.3.1 does not.

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
tedweston
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for that, it sounds bad news for the future.

I don't suppose you know if the audio quality via the optical lead from the TV is as good as the Tivo box.

thanks again for the quick reply.

Ted.

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No problem. My experience of bugs introduced to Tivo, is that they do not get resolved until the next scheduled release which is usually not for another 12 months!

Do you mean the quality of the tv optical out, for audio passed to the tv via. HDMI? If so, I do not know if that would lose Dolby and just result in stereo. It would depend on the tv. 

Just to add, regardless of the connection, you might find a slight delay between the headphones and the tv, resulting in a slight echo. Unless the tv is loud you might not notice too much. Also Tivo does not have a lip-sync delay adjust and people have found lip-sync issues variable.

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
tedweston
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cheers, thank a lot.

Ted

0 Kudos