cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can we turn pin off PERMANENTLY? it is an absolute pain

twinflameskiss
On our wavelength

How can we turn the pin off PERMANENTLY?

We are a couple in out 50s and do not have children and DO NOT need a pin, at all, EVER, and should NOT have one enforced on us.

We have turned off the pin setting, but are still asked for one all the time. We dont watch porm program with violence ior drug programs, etc.,  yet it still is imposed on programs we cant even work out why. Why does Ancient Aliens need a pin? 

It is an absolute PAIN, every time we switch channels in a pin program we have to put it in all over again when we switch back. (And changing it to 1111 is not a solution).

When we were with BT (and other services) we didnt have to, so Virgin COULD make it optional. There are complaints on here going back to 2011 from adults without children, and with disabilities using the controls, asking for it to be removed permanently, yet Virgin have just IGNORED them.

WE are the customer, WE are paying for the service, WE should have the choice of imposing any parental controls only if they are needed, not Virgin.

So Virgin, when are you going to give the people paying the option to turn it off PERMANENTLY?

121 REPLIES 121

Imploded15
Tuning in
I am having same issue..
I dont need a pin to watch programs as no under 18 in my household and I am capable of turning something off if I dont like it....I dont need nannying.
Please sort it out as its really annoying...found the easiest pin to have is 0000 as its easiest to find in dim lit room but its a pain having to do it for various programs

Unfortunately, for reasons others have explained earlier in this thread, the ability to turn the pin request off cannot happen.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Thanks, Xian, after many annoying months of programmes recorded before the watershed needing a PIN to watch them, I'm now PIN free thanks to your advice!

I get this a lot. Even if it is just something like Coronation Street but the recording goes just past 9pm I get asked for the pin. It is really annoying as I have turned off the PIN settings 😞

Neec
Settling in

I know this is an old thread so I'm posting in case anyone is only just Googling the issue.

It may be different for me as I've never had to put in a PIN when changing channels so maybe that was fixed but my issue was that I had to keep putting my pin in when I was watching recordings in the daytime which were recorded after 9pm.

It was an annoyance more than anything but the fix was simple, I pressed Home on the remote and went to Help & Settings > Parental Controls (put in my PIN) > Request a PIN to watch Recordings and set this to "Do not request a PIN".

I know this fix is overly simple but as I'd Googled it thinking this was the only way to get a resolve it may be worth Virgin Media/Tivo adding some text on the pop-up PIN entry which states that this can be changed in settings. It really was obvious once I'd done it but in this day and age people Google EVERYTHING. As forums usually only show problems and not answers I had attempted to ask the live chat but they were too busy so it wouldn't put me through. In VM's interests showing resolves for known questions in the user interface as people are using it may prevent calls/chats/emails in and could save your agents time and queues and free up the lines for customers who have more prevalent issues.

On the plus side, because it's such a simple fix it shows that VM have listened to what is in the forums and taken steps to rectify issues, I just that as the PIN request seems to present such a hindrance some simple text in the box such as "*change/remove in settings" or something similar such as a "press green to go to options" so customers can be directed straight to the right menu may be beneficial to some.  

You can turn this off now in Help & Settings 🙂

Go to Parental Controls where it'll ask you to put in your pin, go to Request a PIN to Watch Recordings and set it to Do not request a PIN 🙂

I just did it and it works for me!

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Even with the option set to 'Do Not request a PIN', you will still get asked for the PIN on recordings from the Sky Cinema channels depending on the time of day and the rating of the film in question.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Well, I have a V+ box and it doesnt have a "Request a PIN to Watch Recordings" option or box to tick in the settings menu. There is an option to chenge the level of control which at best is the "standard" setting.

davidhazel56
Joining in

I am finding it impossible to switch off the PIN for On Demand. All other PIN settings are off, as I've just gone through them to switch it off, but if we try to watch something from Sky On Demand, we get prompted for a PIN.

Is this part of the legal requirements from OFCOM, or is there some other setting which deals with On Demand?

Does this reply earlier in the thread answer the question?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/how-can-we-turn-pin-off-PERMANENTLY-it...

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)