Menu
Tazz2017
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

hooking up old tivo in another room

we have just had the new v6 box installed and i want to put the old tivo in another room is there any way of doing that with out having to buy them power box things is there a way of hooking up an old router instead and doing it that way  

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
vircom
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: hooking up old tivo in another room

You cannot use an old Tivo without paying for a second box. If you have done this the installer should have moved the Tivo for you, provided the coax connection, and ensured both boxes were registered on your account. If you have both boxes installed and want to watch programs recorded on the other box, they will both need connection to your network. This will have been done by VM for the V6 box as it is an operational requirement, for the Tivo their has never been a requirement for a network connection so I believe​ VM will see this as a customer responsibility? Wifi is not available for the Tivo and the best method would be an Ethernet cable from the Tivo to your SHub. The next best option would be powerline adapters. I am not sure what advantage there would be in using another router as that would need an Ethernet cable back to the SHub?

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure what you're after.

All Virgin TV boxes need a coax connection. If you wanted to keep your TiVo box, this would have to be arranged at the time of the V6 order, so that should have then been an engineer install who would have done all the work required to move your existing TiVo box.

Powerline adapters would be needed if you then wanted to have your new V6 box and your existing TiVo box to talk to one another for streaming of recordings between the two.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Tazz2017
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

thank you for your reply just had the v6 sent to us and we set it up our self's as we have an old router and wounded if we could you the instead of power line adapters
0 Kudos
vircom
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You cannot use an old Tivo without paying for a second box. If you have done this the installer should have moved the Tivo for you, provided the coax connection, and ensured both boxes were registered on your account. If you have both boxes installed and want to watch programs recorded on the other box, they will both need connection to your network. This will have been done by VM for the V6 box as it is an operational requirement, for the Tivo their has never been a requirement for a network connection so I believe​ VM will see this as a customer responsibility? Wifi is not available for the Tivo and the best method would be an Ethernet cable from the Tivo to your SHub. The next best option would be powerline adapters. I am not sure what advantage there would be in using another router as that would need an Ethernet cable back to the SHub?

0 Kudos