Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

gardener cut the tivo cable !

I have an engineer booked for Friday but advice please on whether a temp repair is possible or advisable.

the thick black tivo cable runs across outside front of  house wall, from a VM exterior junction box, and then into house,  and our gardener has accidentally cut it where it ran behind some plants. the broadband and phone cables take a different route into the house from the same junction box.

our phone & broad band cables are OK, but tivo is dead.. I may have some left over VM coax connectors/splitters from the superhub install kit somewhere in that attic, is there likely to be anything I could use to splice the cut cable with ?

is seems that we cannot in the meantime play any pre-recorded My Shows material -  because cannot get past the no connection error message on screen ?

will we be charged for the repair ?

and applying stable door horse bolted logic, should I now  invest in some protective conduit to fix onto the house wall, over the cable - any recommendations of what to use.

I'd need 5- 10  meters I reckon, of something that I can attach after the cable has been repaired i.e. it needs to go over the attached-to-wall cable, bit have the cable threaded through it 

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: gardener cut the tivo cable !

Have you sacked the gardener?!🔪😱

cant no help with cable but you should be able to play recordings. Just don't press ok (cos then the TiVo tries to connect) press play instead. Should be ok

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

the gardener was v apologetic, he reckoned he could splice it back together but whatever he tried has not worked,.  I don't think he understood what a tivo cable does, he was thinking it was like a standard tv aeriel cable

I will probably wait for the VM engineer & see what he does. the cut is in one long cable that runs from the junction box  around the outside wall, then in through a boiler cupboard,  up and around an inside hallway then finally through another inside wall to get to tv in lounge. so quite a hassle if is has to be replaced & cannot be spliced....

but for my own education: what does the inside of a tivo cable look like - is it  it one thick insulated core, like the bit that goes into a super hub ? or is it dozens of fragile wires liike in an ethernet cable , or a mix of both ( worst case ? )

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It's very high-grade coax. Custom made for VM.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

i thought so, thanks.

so any splice has to not affect the overall impedance  , and thus may need a custom made VM joiner/extender?

and/or some rebalancing of the box

PrinterElf wrote:

It's very high-grade coax. Custom made for VM.

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

was hoping to find the yellow version of this but I'm coming up empty

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-corrugated-conduit-black-20mm-x-10m/50443

cut a slit down the length of it if you're not able to pass the cable through it

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

i thought so, thanks.

so any splice has to not affect the overall impedance  , and thus may need a custom made VM joiner/extender?

and/or some rebalancing of the box

It also needs to be done by VM so that you don't introduce any noise back up to the street cabinet and get the bill for all the callouts for the rest of the street! Smiley Wink

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

thanks - I think a D shape may be better, VM have run the existing cable parallel to ground at about 1 foot high, so it is pinned to the brick wall at regular points- they do that with a staple gun I think 

so a cross section of 

wall - cable -  D cover would look like this.

|---- :

| O :

| --- :

I could so similar to the broadband an phone cable where that runs low to ground on another wall

there's rubber stuff that you'd use over cables on floor to stop folks tripping over them - that could work ?

I will ask the engineer what he recommends

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

cybmole - Am I missing something here? The TiVO and BB cable are usually one and the same thing.

Once the cable enters your house it is split to supply the TiVO with its signal and the BB modem with its signal. The phone cable is physically attached to the incoming cable so if you look at a typical cable it is one thick and one thin (or at least it is in my area) joined at the hip. If the thick cable is severed both TV and BB are affected. If the whole lot is severed then t all services are lost.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

In  my case, the tivo cable was added a few years after the broadband, after much puzzling over how to route the cable.  

The router is installed upstairs, and the tivo cable needed a different route to get to the lounge tv as we did not want to cable through the lounge ceiling.

So the split takes place at a little brown VM box fixed on the outside house wall where the underground cable emerges. router cable goes off in one direction, along a wall then up behind a drainpipe  and in through a bedroom wall; the  tivo cable goes off in the opposite direction around the front of the house then sneaks in via the boiler cupboard and around the hall to get to the interior lounge with minimal impact on decor.

The thin grey VM phone cable also comes out from that junction box then into the house via yet another hole.

so 2 of 3 cables are intact, gardener damaged arguably the least important one only.

We could not route the tivo cable alongside the phone as it needs to get to the far side of the house & to the opposite side of a stone fireplace.

0 Kudos