Menu
shcraig
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

damaged hdmi ports

switched tv off last night like i have every night since i got tivo. Got up today and no tivo service. After investigating turns out the hdmi out on tivo is faulty, and "coincidently" (i think not) the hdmi port on my samsung tv is now useless.! Contacted Samsung to arrange an inspection to find out issue. VM engineer coming tomorrow.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
shcraig
Joining in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: damaged hdmi ports

update. The VM engineer confirmed (verbally) that this is more common than people know. He contacted his manager as he was attempting to get tv repaired, manager says I have to have "concrete proof" that my tv didnt blow the tivo port. Now, considering my xbox one was connected to tv at same time, but only appliance showing problems with hdmi output is the tivo box, this is screaming its the tivo. I contacted a tv engineer on number given to me by VM engineer to ask about this, have been told that its near impossible to have "concrete proof" as to which port caused the damage, but stated there is more chance of the tivo, (which has current flowing from box to tv) has caused the damage. Quoted £48 just for an inspection report that will probably not give me this "concrete proof" that VM manager says I need. Had enough now. I will be cancelling my contract with VM at end of term. Not willing to take risk with another set so using scart output to view tv. This is a scandalous way to treat a long term customer

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi shcraig,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear your HDMI ports are damaged.

I understand your frustrations surrounding this. I've managed to locate your account and can see you've already spoken to our team regarding this. Hopefully the matter has now been resolved.

If you have any further questions please feel free to post again.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
shcraig
Joining in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yes thanks rich situation resolved and am more than happy with outcome. 

0 Kudos
babaganoosh
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Trying to sort out same problem. How did you sort it out shcrsig? Vm don't seem to understand the problem
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi there babaganoosh,

I'm really sorry to hear that you seem to be having an issue with the HMDI port on your TiVo®, and I'd really like to help you out. 

If possible could you please connect a scart lead up to the TiVo® and let me know if a picture appears on your TV when you tune into the scart input.

If this does produce a picture, then please follow this path on your TiVo®

HOME - HELP & SETTINGS - SETTINGS - VIDEO OUTPUT - VIDEO OUTPUT FORMAT - CHANGE SETTINGS

Then select auto detect. 

This may be caused by an incorrect output being used for the HDMI which may then mean that the picture is out of range for your TV. 

Once the test has completed, please try the HDMI again, if you still experience an issue, I'd have to ask if you've tried changing the HDMI lead and input on the TV

Please let me know. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Trevor79
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

I am curently having this issue and at the moment am not very confident with the responses I'm receiving from VM.  Went to turn my tv on the other day and had no signal to the telly, I'm totally confident with tech so therefore checked the usual things with no joy so contacted VM as I knew they would need to send out an engineer and then it dawned on me that I know the engineer will just swap the box out and my hard drive full of recordings will be no more 😤😢 as if there was something that could have been done other than signal I could have sorted it.  Something said for me to check the rest of equipment to tv, to my horror, nothing seemed to work including my surround sound which has hdmi ports too. After a lengthy process of taking apart my ikea tv unit to access all the wires and connections to everything (quite tiring when you have fibromyalgia [think akin to a disability] went to bed tired and sore) I ascertained that the hdmi port 1 on my tv doesn't work and nor does the hdmi ports on my surround sound. I check every hdmi cable and port and find that my Android box, PS4, Mac mini  and Xbox still work and as most of these run through the surround sound I then identify that the surround sound's hdmi ports no longer work, and the hdmi port 1 on tv no longer works. At this point I am LIVID!!! as I love my 3D tv and even more so my surround sound, a pretty beefy Sony. I love my tech and take great care over all my equipment.

Now by process of elimination and the fact that the only unit that's totally ******** is the tivo box it's blimming obvious that the fault is with the tivo box. The tivo box is always on and my tv and surround sound is always on standby if I'm not using, as they don't have total off switches and the plugs are too difficult to keep unplugging each time.  All the other equipment has no power running through it when powered down, this is what must have saved them from being damaged as it meant there was a dead end to the circuit. But as tv and surround sound had a current through them (due to being on standby) this must have allowed whatever fault the tivo box had to effect my tv and surround sound.  A sceptic will say how do you know it's not tv or surround with fault, it's far too coincidental that the surround sound still works via optical cable (light source so no current flowing through) and radio works still, as well as the auxiliary coaxial ports, it's just the hdmi ports that are damaged! Funny that.  And with the TV it has 4 hdmi ports and it's only hdmi port 1 which was linked with the tivo. The multiple adapter plugs that all the equipment is plugged into are all surge protected so that area is covered too.  While I'm not an electrical engineer I'm sure you can tell I'm not stupid when comes to tech and their method of communication between them. It's blatantly obvious that the tivo box is at fault as although it has its power indicator lights on, the ports at the back are not working. Even the usb port for servicing has no current flowing through it which is an obvious sign of a circuit board fault.  I didn't test the scart plug because quite frankly in this day and age no one uses them unless your over 60 or have no other option.

VM engineer just came checked box and then just swapped out for new as I predicted (losing all my recorded programs) he also just swapped out my router because I had no Internet or intermittent (might work if your happy to turn router on and off at least 3 times a day) I haven't even mentioned to VM the fact that they haven't suggested compensation or being reimbursed due to VM not providing me a broad band service for almost 2 weeks and also a week going by with no tv service as well which I would have thought would be an obvious thing to have done when you fail to provide a service.  You can probably see that I'm not greatly happy with VM at the moment and have a feeling it could get worse as everyone I speak to at VM don't have any answers or don't really understand.  

My conversation today with VM is that someone from the complaints department will be in contact with me within 7 days time, so I guess I will wait and see what comes of that.  Hopefully something good, as I'm sure I'll have difficulty, plus better things to do than to find multiple ways of trying to send the lovely mr Branson a letter or 2......or 10 lol.

I will update when I can as this must be more common than known, it doesn't take much investigating online to find complaints about the tivo box, and even those stating they are engineers for virgin stating that the boxes are "sensative".  I've been a VM customer for years even when they were known as telewest and the old original brown and black "cable box" adorned our TV stands, so I'm hoping the years of loyalty go in my favour too...... 

So probably get another post in a week or so.

Trevor

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Trevor79
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Fao: moderator

Didn't realise that word would constitute as bad language as it's noun is tired as in no good, but it was not my intent to offend
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Trevor79,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with the TiVo® lately.  I'd like to help with this.  It's great to see you've carried out extensive checks to help rule out various factors, this has been massively helpful.  

I have been able to locate your account and I can see a complaint has been raised on your behalf to investigate this issue.  

I'd like to find out if you're still experiencing a fault with the TiVo® currently?  If so, let me know and I'll be happy to check this further and aim to get this resolved.

In the meantime, regarding the complaint that has been raised for you, need to confirm a couple of details with you if that's ok?  I shall request some details via a private message, look for the  icon above.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Nufroon
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

His all have exactly the same problem, after leaving TV on standby as usual first saw fault with TV then Tivo box, have no hdmi output on Tivo and a dead TV. Rang VM to be connected to automated apologising for no service managed to speak to tech dept who put me through to customer services who quite frankly were not only useless but not at all interested. After now reading your posts will be getting a report on TV and looking more into the lack of surge protectors.
So in short.
1. Problem with VM service in our area.
2. No hdmi output on Tivo.
3. Dead TV.

So did our TV cause fault on service in our area, or did VM cause fault with TV !!! ???...
You be the judge........