Menu
historytom
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

cancellation fee

I've just had a "discussion" and cancelled my account. I have been told that although my telephone line was not transferred until the 11th May and my fibre cable wasn't connected until the 13th May, my account started on the 30th April and therefore I am to be hit with £240 in charges for leaving after the 14 days cancellation period. I don't consider my contract as being in force until the 13th. Do I just ignore the bill and let VM take me to court? Anyone else had this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: cancellation fee

Its quite clear from both VM's TOS and consumer law that a 14 day cooling off period applies to all contracts sold over the phone/internet or via sales people attending your home.

The start of the 14 day period will be when your service is connected/when equipment was delivered, WHICHEVER IS THE LATER.

Were ANY of the services connected on the 30th? If any were they could argue the technical point. I dont know how that would go in court, with VM describing the package as "bundled services" its likely a view would be taken that all 3 should be live. Exceptions apply- where for example they cannot supply one of the services for whatever reason and you accept that.

If NO services were connected until 13th of may , they haven't a leg to stand on.

Connected BTW is defined as available for you to use, not the day you actually first use them. Should be obvious, but there are situations where a connected account will go over 14 days before first use.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: cancellation fee

Hi historytom, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are wanting to cancel Virgin Media Smiley Sad Is there any reason why? Is there something we can do to change your mind?

As soon as your services get installed, this would be the start of your 14 days right to cancel period. As part of your service was installed on the 30th April, this service would start from then. 

The other services weren't installed later so there wouldn't be a termination fee for those. We cap our termination fees at £240 so even if the cost is more, you won't pay more than this. 

If there is anything else we can do to help or you have any further questions, come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos