Menu
edthehat
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

bbc iplayer only fast forewards with stationary screen.unable to see where in program

unlike other catchup  etc bbc i player will not show at which point of programe it has reached as it just stays on last point of viewing making it rather hit or miss as to where you are.Any answers please

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: bbc iplayer only fast forewards with stationary screen.unable to see where in program

The reason it's currently different is that on TiVo, the iPlayer is an app designed by the BBC which connects directly to their iPlayer systems. Other Catch Up is currently hosted by Virgin Media's On Demand.

Unfortunately the way the fast forward works is how the BBC have designed the iPlayer app to work.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
norskyorkie
Up to speed
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: bbc iplayer only fast forewards with stationary screen.unable to see where in program

I find the Virgin Media iPlayer totally useless, slow to load, constant buffering, unwatchable.

I use my Smart TV's iPlayer instead but even that doesn't have a visible fast forward / back, I suspect it's the BBC implementation that causes this and nothing to do with VM.

0 Kudos
wokelly
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem.  It is a terrible feature. Unless you want to watch every minute of every BBC programme. I believe that fast forwarding through the BBC presenters and personalities is an essential action - for preserving one's sanity. I have found that recording the shows allows one to fast forward and watch the film's progress. What can be done about this on the catch up service? Is the question they all seem to be ignoring.

mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes, Virgin should be doing something about it - I don't see this as BBC's fault. The Catch up is now a complete waste of time. Of course people need to see what they are fast forwarding through - how else can you know when to stop?! The whole thing is farcical - only an idiot could think this is the way to provide Catch Up, so Virgin should get rid of the idiots and sort this out. Otherwise we should demand a refund as we are not getting a proper service.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

mikes2400 wrote:

Yes, Virgin should be doing something about it - I don't see this as BBC's fault. The Catch up is now a complete waste of time. Of course people need to see what they are fast forwarding through - how else can you know when to stop?!

Sorry to repeat the point here, but the iPlayer app is designed and written by the BBC. It is then hosted by Virgin Media on TiVo, but Virgin Media have not had any involvement it's design.

The way iPlayer works is consistent across all 'Connected' devices such as Smart TVs, Smart Blu-Ray / DVD players, games consoles, as well as Virgin Media TiVo.

It is up to the BBC to change the behaviour of fast forward and rewind on their own app.

Netflix have implemented a way of seeing where you are with the programme during fast forward and rewind which is the same across Connected devices running their app, including on TiVo.

So if / when the BBC update their app to behave in that way, it will do so on TiVo.

andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It annoys me a lot too, but I agree that the fault lies with the BBC not Virgin/TiVo. If the BBC insist that third-party companies use the BBC's own software to connect to iPlayer, there's not much Virgin can do about it.

The same applies if you use the iPlayer on the BBC's own website by the way, the scrub feature only shows the h:mm:ss value when you slide it, not a thumbnail of the video content in the way that YouTube/etc does.

Andre

0 Kudos
mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've complained to the BBC about this and am waiting for a reply (not hopeful). But I don't accept that Virgin are powerless - they are presumably paying the BBC for this service so could complain about its inadequacies if they wanted to. In turn we are paying for what should be a proper service so we are right to complain to Virgin (as well as the BBC).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I do appreciate where you're coming from, but the Connected Red Button / Red Button+ from the BBC which includes the services on TiVo, is part of an approved strategy and is regulated by the BBC Trust

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/regulatory_framework/service_licences/service_r...

We support the BBC’s plans to develop the Connected Red Button as the natural evolution of the traditional Red Button. BBC management plans to use Red Button as a gateway to an Internet Protocol television (IPTV) offer and call this the Connected Red Button. This plans to build on the traditional strengths of the Red Button. Initially, this will offer access to the BBC’s News, Sport and iPlayer apps. Building on the traditional Red Button offer, it will also enable direct links between broadcast programming and online content, which may enable greater engagement in content and more second screen experiences.

So although Virgin Media can certainly feedback comments from it's customers (and I'm not saying that they are not already doing so), as can other providers that also use the Connected Red Button, it is still down to the BBC to action any changes.

If / until that happens, then the iPlayer app design is what it is.

wokelly
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

YES. This what I was trying to say. But not as well. I am constantly amazed that the BBC, which WE pay for, is the most aloof, inaccessible 'corporation' I have ever dealt with. I think it is the smugness that bothers me most. And you have to laugh, with all that I have just said, when the first BBC programme I recorded was A N Wilson's documentary on Philip Larkin which was an absolute gem... no need for any fast forwarding whatsoever... HA!

0 Kudos