Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

any way to record bbc wales HD ( in England)?

a series we want to watch - Hinterland season 2 - begins 23 december on bbc wales and bbc wales HD. We are seeing the trailers saying it's on wales HD but we can't see how to get that channel ?

A Tivo search only offers the option to record the SD version - despite us having the TV XL package.

is there any way we can get / record wales HD ( from in England) via our paid-for VM service ( and paid-for BBC licence ) e.g. can we change what region we receive , temporarily ? or do we have to resort to less legal solutions to see  a HD version ?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: any way to record bbc wales HD ( in England)?

It may be provided in HD on iPlayer

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

it may be on iplayer , yes, for a limited time only, but iplayer "HD" is not really what I call HD, and it is overall not such a  good solution as being able to save it on Tivo for as long as I care to keep it.

so original question remains: if I pay for the best TV package that VM have to offer, why does that NOT include HD wales & is there any way to game the system - I forget how tico knows my tv region - did it ask at set up or do VM know it & thus force it to the geographically correct answer ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your TiVO can only get the channels input at your local cable "Headend", so if you dont get BBC1 Wales in HD on channel 108, then the answer is no. You can get BBC1 Wales on channel 864 in all cable areas, but only in SD.

Distributing channels on Virgin incurrs additional costs & uses valuable spectrum. Virgin gets no income from the BBC, & "out of region" channels would be used very little. If you want out of area reception, the only option is satellite, which eminates from a single point in space, & is entriely funded from the BBC licence fee.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

that's a tad illogical - by your reasoning , I should be glad they even bother to stream  bbc wales to me in SD, because they are not paid to do so.

the BBC site says" If you have Virgin Media your new version of BBC One HD will appear automatically if you live in Scotland or Wales."

so VM central has the stream, they could offer it to all subscribers if they so chose.

Compared with some of the crud that fills up the XL package, I'd have thought any BBC HD offering from any region would be relatively popular Smiley Happy

so as things stand  its another WIN for pirates/torrents vs legal solutions ..  I'll have little trouble sourcing it in HD but for once it would be nice to be able to play by the rules & get the same quality service.. Like I said before I pay VM for the best TV package they offer & I pay for BBC to make this stuff, via my licence, yet I still can't see it.- unless I move to Wales.

rant ON ..

.& don't get me started on why the BBC shop can't offer any better than dvd quality on purchased discs for most of it's shows, even if they were originally broadcast in HD, and not at all if it's a show they made for BBC america - I have a list of stuff , made by the BBC, that I'd like to own in HD, but unless I buy a jailbroken Blu Ray player to bypass the region locks, and then import the discs , I cannot  buy legal, viewable versions]. I bet when they get around to selling this series, if ever, it will be SD DVD only.

rant OFF

Out of curiosity, would an English Sky subscriber have the same problem with access to BBC wales HD  , do you know 

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BBC Wales on 864 is as good as it's going to get if you're not in Wales.

as to the Sky BBC Wales HD question you pose... the headend restriction that VM is encumbered by does not come into play as the satellite itself is the "headend" - the broadcasting satellite, well - its transponder, sprays a signal over the footprint it's tuned to i.e. the whole country plus a few hundred miles on the fringes thankfully, keeps the MIL happy when she's an hour and a half away by plane and not the usual 10 minutes away by car.

record it in SD and watch it while suffering from a head cold, from half the distance you normally watch - you'll never notice the difference Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Out of curiosity, would an English Sky subscriber have the same problem with access to BBC wales HD  , do you know 

Sky does not operate the satellites it uses, they rent transponders to put their pay channels on. So free-to-air channels like the BBC ones have nothing to do with Sky. They do a deal directly with the Satellite operator (SES in Belgium), who do get money off the BBC as they are not seen as a platform provider. The only stipulation of Sky (which is a UK platform) is to carry the EPG information for the channels. If it wasn’t for it costing more to scramble its channels than to go FTA on Satellite, you would only see the BBC channels for your own area on satellite as well.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I suspect that, since it is a Welsh programme, it is simply being premiered on BBC 1 Wales before being shown everywhere else. There was an advert for Hinterland on BBC 4 between the two episodes of The Bridge on Saturday night. Was it not shown on BBC 4 last time round?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

I suspect that, since it is a Welsh programme, it is simply being premiered on BBC 1 Wales before being shown everywhere else. There was an advert for Hinterland on BBC 4 between the two episodes of The Bridge on Saturday night. Was it not shown on BBC 4 last time round?

yes, that is the ad that i saw, when replayed our tivo recordings of the bridge. it said showing  wales & wales HD [ and that was an English advert, as tivo captured it ? ]

- so I checked the broadcast dates on BBC site then tried to program tivo to record it in HD ... & hence this thread.

it seems to be a dec 23 start in both england and wales

last time around - season 1 -  we found it on netflix, having missed the live broadcasts...

PS the other reason I don't much care for iplayer is that we like to record a whole series & then binge watch - can't do that with iplayer as the episodes do not stay up long enough. I am reliably told though that iplayer is simple to hack in order to permanently save the content Smiley Happy

0 Kudos