Menu
mysterree
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

annoying duplicate recordings of news shows

How do I prevent recording the same news show repeated multiple times on the same night? One Pass is set to record new only. This causes conflicts with other shows and is extremely annoying.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
mysterree
Tuning in
Message 12 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: annoying duplicate recordings of news shows

You're right, wrong forum for me. Nonetheless, thanks to those of you who attempted to help with my very vexing TiVo box. It's a Premiere XL and has a couple of other perpetually annoying quirks (sound sometimes fails after partial rewinds; occasionally having to endure the world's inexplicably slowest spontaneous reboots). Enough. Time to pay Amazon a visit.

Rabangus wrote:
Hi, I really think you are on the wrong forum. From what I can make out the Virgin TiVo boxes are quite different. They don't have onepass, the old ones have 3 tuners, the new ones have 6 tuners, all of which can record at the same time. If you have no option to set manual recordings to repeat then I don't know what to suggest.

Oh, and on this forum it's our boxes that are domestic, and yours is foreign! Lol
0 Kudos

All Replies
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

mysterree wrote:

How do I prevent recording the same news show repeated multiple times on the same night? One Pass is set to record new only. This causes conflicts with other shows and is extremely annoying.

Many programmes like that don't have proper EPG info so the planner defaults to safe mode and records all of them. Click on the BBC News Channel is a prime example as the BBC consider it a disposable programme that can be thrown off air for any reason.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Rabangus
Dialled in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Use manual recording my friend - that's what I use for things like Click and the Film Review on the BBC news channel.
0 Kudos
mysterree
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Having trouble understanding how manual recording (meaning no OnePass?) will help my situation - which began with the latest update of the TiVo OS -  so let me try to clarify:

We watch three news shows nightly. Each show has its own anchor and perspective on the news. Each is rebroadcast multiple times in its entirety and TiVo treats each as a new program like this:

Show A:   5pm   7pm     9pm   11pm  01am
Show B:   6pm   8pm   10pm   12am 
Show C:   7pm   9pm   11pm   01am

We have only two tuners, so these rebroadcasts cause multiple conflicts with other shows that have to be manually fixed on the To Do List. I think the TiVo OS is incapable of distinguishing among these shows and apparently no beta tester including me thought to test this scenario.

If anyone else has encountered this problem and has a fix other than buying a TiVo with four or more tuners, please help. Manually recording each of these shows every night at the proper time and deleting the OnePass for each is not feasible. Just occurred to me that moving these three OnePasses to the bottom  of the priority list (they're now at the top) might help. We'll see.

0 Kudos
Rabangus
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

With manual recording you can set it to record at a set time every day - that sounds like what you are after?
0 Kudos
mysterree
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Might be. I'll give it try. Thanks!
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

mysterree wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Having trouble understanding how manual recording (meaning no OnePass?) will help my situation - which began with the latest update of the TiVo OS -  so let me try to clarify:

We watch three news shows nightly. Each show has its own anchor and perspective on the news. Each is rebroadcast multiple times in its entirety and TiVo treats each as a new program like this:

Show A:   5pm   7pm     9pm   11pm  01am
Show B:   6pm   8pm   10pm   12am 
Show C:   7pm   9pm   11pm   01am

We have only two tuners, so these rebroadcasts cause multiple conflicts with other shows that have to be manually fixed on the To Do List. I think the TiVo OS is incapable of distinguishing among these shows and apparently no beta tester including me thought to test this scenario.

If anyone else has encountered this problem and has a fix other than buying a TiVo with four or more tuners, please help. Manually recording each of these shows every night at the proper time and deleting the OnePass for each is not feasible. Just occurred to me that moving these three OnePasses to the bottom  of the priority list (they're now at the top) might help. We'll see.

A couple of points. First, the Tivo has three tuners. Second, despite being a major critic of VM's testing policies, I don't see what could have been done here.  If the channel marks all of these programmes as separate programmes and, as you say,  "Each is rebroadcast multiple times in its entirety and TiVo treats each as a new program" then that would appear to be the case and no amount of testing would help as the Tivo recording strategy is working as designed.

As said above, the only option is to use a manual recording strategy. I doubt if the channel will change their strategy since, if it is a news show, then It is likely that the content will change over the course of an evening.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Anyone else think this OnePass TiVo user is not a Virgin Media customer and lives in the US?

I've no idea if the US product has a manual recording option.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

All news programmes are new by the very nature they are news.
0 Kudos
mysterree
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I live in the US. Nonetheless, I thought this forum would be helpful. Am I to understand that there are domestic (US) and foreign versions of TiVo boxes and that only the latter has a manual recording feature? Manually recording a one-off show from a search is one thing; I don't know how to manually record a nightly show without using OnePass. Incidentally, the repeated broadcasts of the news shows I'm referring to are identical to the first showing. They are repeats being treated as originals.

This doesn't seem to be an inherent TiVo defect else I wouldn't be looking for advice here. Started happening after an OS update. TiVo obviously revised its code and this problem appears to be an unfortunate side effect.

BTW, how does a two-tuner box have three tuners as one responder to my original post stated? Even if it did, only two can record at same time. More tuners won't solve my problem, but they would permit recording of shows now not recorded unless I manually prevent a newscast repeat from recording. So I laboriously edit the ToDo List to remove the unwanted rebroadcasts, a ridiculous, frustrating workaround for an "automatic" system.

0 Kudos