Menu
stephenho
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yet another Slow TiVo Rant.

I've just spent the better part of an hour browsing through all the "Slow TiVO" threads on this board, searching for a permanent fix. The result of that search? There isn't one.

The TiVO service is slow to the point of unusability and unreliable to the point of frustration.

Do not tell me that everything looks fine when you check from your end. Do not tell me it is iPlayer. Do not tell me it is confined to certain times of the day. And please, please, please do not tell me to "switch it off and on again".

This is a systemic problem with the TiVO service. My Apple TV is faster to access netflix. My four year old mobile phone with TVAnywhere is preferable as a watching device compared to navigating through a menu structure whose response times make the experience of wading through treacle seem like being given a piggy-back by Usain Bolt in comparison.

The right thing to do, Virgin, is to stop pretending everything is fine. It just isn't. Own your mistakes, admit it is a problem with the TiVO service as a whole (oh, so 5% of your users never experience problems? Bully for them.) and *do something about it*.

As you'll see from my email address I have been a customer since blueyonder days. I have received excellent service from you for telephone and internet. The V+ box in my snug provides more than adequate service, so I *know* you can do it. Just do the right thing. Admit that your TiVO service is not up to scratch, and provide something better.

I'm not looking for a solution here on the forums, so feel free to ignore this frustrated rant. I'm just going to see if you do anything in the next six months, or one of your oldest customers is going elsewhere.

/mic drop

sawyer
Tuning in
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Yet another Slow TiVo Rant.

I feel your pain as using a Tivo box is a slow and dreadful experience. Thankfully we don't use it much but our contract is up with Virgin now so I shall be getting rid of it and would suggest you do the same. That way your pain will be gone and you can laugh at how long Netflix takes to load on Tivo. LOL

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

stephenho wrote:

I've just spent the better part of an hour browsing through all the "Slow TiVO" threads on this board, searching for a permanent fix. The result of that search? There isn't one.

The TiVO service is slow to the point of unusability and unreliable to the point of frustration.

Do not tell me that everything looks fine when you check from your end. Do not tell me it is iPlayer. Do not tell me it is confined to certain times of the day. And please, please, please do not tell me to "switch it off and on again".

This is a systemic problem with the TiVO service. My Apple TV is faster to access netflix. My four year old mobile phone with TVAnywhere is preferable as a watching device compared to navigating through a menu structure whose response times make the experience of wading through treacle seem like being given a piggy-back by Usain Bolt in comparison.

The right thing to do, Virgin, is to stop pretending everything is fine. It just isn't. Own your mistakes, admit it is a problem with the TiVO service as a whole (oh, so 5% of your users never experience problems? Bully for them.) and *do something about it*.

As you'll see from my email address I have been a customer since blueyonder days. I have received excellent service from you for telephone and internet. The V+ box in my snug provides more than adequate service, so I *know* you can do it. Just do the right thing. Admit that your TiVO service is not up to scratch, and provide something better.

I'm not looking for a solution here on the forums, so feel free to ignore this frustrated rant. I'm just going to see if you do anything in the next six months, or one of your oldest customers is going elsewhere.

/mic drop

...have to agree with EVERYTHING you have said here.

I ONLY use my Tivo to watch TV and record stuff - NEVER for browsing through apps, be they iPlayer, Netflix or YouTube or whatever.

Even though the TiVo SUPPOSEDLY has its own "10mb dedicated cable connection", for browsing and using apps, when using these SAME apps on the following devices:

My last gen Apple TV is faster than TiVo - on WIFI

My last gen Xbox 360 is faster than TiVo - ON WIFI

My current gen Xbox One is faster than TiVo - ON WIFI

Pure and simple - DON'T USE TIVO FOR APPS - ITS USELSSS...........!!!!!

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi stephenho,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that your experience with TiVo® has been a slow one to date.  I'd like to help check this out if you'd like me to have a look at this.

I'd like to know more about what aspects of TiVo® have been running slow.  I know you've mentioned that when using App's things have been slow there, is it also when you're changing channels, navigating the menu?

Do you get the same response when using the buttons on the front of the box?  

I'd love to know more if you'd like me to look into this for you.

Keep me posted Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

lividihard
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Collette I also have the same issues

Its browsing the standard menu, its trying to load any of the applications, Netflix, YouTube etc, if I want to watch something I need to plan 10 minutes in advance as this is how long it takes to load Netflix, youtube etc

Navigating the standard Tivo menu is sluggish and just not responsive, its so frustrating and makes me question why I am still a VM customer

I am quicker going upstairs unplugging the Chromecast from the TV in the bedroom and plugging it into the TV downstairs to cast from my phone what I want to watch, the time it takes to do this is less than it is for Tivo to do it.

This really is an issue that VM need to admit to.

sharrattm
Superfast
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette,

i'm sure Stephenho will be pleased to know you are looking at this for him,  (but once you've checked his cable levels and tivo, and confirmed they are ok ,as you will do, and then just advise him to reboot...)

given the number of threads reporting this issue have Virgin acknowledged this problem or taken any real action to investigate it?  (nb its not the apps, youtube or iplayer, as they're so slow it makes them pretty much useless anyway) its the basic Tivo software interface menus and responses that are so painfully slow at times.

it seems like Virgin are just looking at all these reports as isolated one-off incidents and not considering there is a real problem with the Tivo software slowing down..... (and  a reboot is not a fix) 

AshleyMullen
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I too experience slowness when using Tivo and especially the apps.  Try to watch Netflix it stops at 25% and brings up an error message, it allows you to run a network test and guarantee 2 out of network tests will fail.  YouTube is painful to watch as its near constant buffering and the navigational aspect is horrible.  The BBC iplayer picture is not good quality even when HD is selected, its like watching a poor quality video on YouTube you know before the days of 1080i.  One other thing do VM provide proper HD or is it upscaled to look like HD?  Reason I ask is my Sky HD box has a much clearer and sharper picture than Tivo.  The more recordings you have the slower the Tivo seems to become, I noticed this when they swapped my Tivo for a new one a while ago, and then when the recordings start building up it gets slower.

0 Kudos
d_a_n1979
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I/we too have issues with our 1TB TiVO box...

We don;t use the apps per se as we have x2 ATV3's for stuff like that

However, we do use the TiVO box to watch the standard TV channels and record items etc...

It's PAINFULLY slow, it takes ages to decide what it wants to do, we've around 39% of memory used and it's still as slow as hell to load the programme you've recorded, takes an age to delete items and you constantly get the spinning circle whilst its thinking!

For c£65 a month, bar the super-fast broadband we use, a telephone service we have but rarely use, the TV side of things is a serious issue, a serious let-down and it's clear that VM simply won't do anything about it!

GrumbleDook
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

And another one on the list for slow TIVO.

I tend to break it into 3 problem areas.

1. Response (navigation between services)
  2. Navigation
  3. Services

For Response, this is the amount of time it takes for the box to respond to either the remote or the front panel controls. If one is slow then both are slow ... Whether it is waking the box up, or exiting from a service, this can take anything from 10 seconds to 5 minutes. Once it has come out of that particular area then you come onto the next issue.

For Navigation we are talking about browsing between options and choices within a service area, e.g. getting to different places within on-demand. This can be 3-10 seconds between moving up and down a single menu choice, 5-20 seconds to go up and down menu levels. Different service areas are worse than others on a consistent basis. On Demand is worse that catch-up, Catch Up is worse that My Shows.. Once we have chosen something then we get into the particular service itself.

The services are so hit and miss. Generally, once you are into the PVR services then it runs quite smoothly. Recording is fine, no skipping and minimal errors. The core stuff of a TIVO just works. When you get into the other services you get the interesting stuff. Catch-up and On Demand frequently have a lag on them for starting, pausing, stopping, rewind, forward ... annoying but usable at a push. The apps though ... oh sweet $deity!!! iPlayer and netflix are unusable unless you have a 'miracle day'. Up to 5 minutes to navigate within iPlayer between one show and another. 5 MINUTES! Netflix has times when it is little better ... and sometimes just stops. We don't use either anymore. It is easier to use the AppleTV adn if we really need to I use AirPlay to broadcast to it from my iPad ... and it is smoother and cleaner.

We have only had our box for 2 1/2 years or so, and having read the recent comments I doubt replacing the box will do much. If it wasn't for teh space I would go back to the old V+HD box and take a reduction in the price ... that is a serious offer to you folks at Virgin ... I will go back to the old kit if you drop the price to use it.

To be honest, I might start filming how dire it is and then send it in to somewhere like Watchdog ... surely this is starting to get to the point of needing a higher profile to get it sorted.

m0j00
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I never use the you tube app but thought i would see how long mine took to load.

Tivo took 1 minute and 38 seconds to load without any recording running. No doubt it would

have been much longer if i was recording a couple of channels. 

My Samsung smart tv loads the you tube app in 10 seconds !. 

Hmmm.

My Services:
TiVo - 1TB & VHD 0GB, TV XL, BB XXL, Phone XL
loc: NG15 Superhub: R30 TiVo: 15.3-RC5-VMC-2-C00
Services Status
1TB TiVo 0GB VHD BB XXL Phone XL
Thanks for the sig ideas PrinterElf, Grumpy_Trucker.