Menu
Jeremy_Bentham
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why is the Tivo box software so slow?

Just moved over to Virgin, and I had read all the reviews and everything about the speed of the Tivo box and menu system so knew what to expect, but why is it so slow? I mean I can't believe when they're showcasing this in their offices they browse through the menus thinking "Yeah, this looks good guys, good job" - High fives all round! Somethings are responsive, don't get me wrong, but leaving the Home section going back to the TV is just silly. And there is so much more, just look around here on the forums and it's not hard to see as others are complaining.

So what is it. Poor hardware or just badly coded software? And is anything being done about it?

Virgin Media as a whole is good. Great Broadband and cheaper than say Sky, but not sure I can think about renewing if the software doesn't improve.

adecooper
Dialled in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is the Tivo box software so slow?

It's ancient technology I'm afraid. Long overdue an upgrade but we'll be charged a fortune for a newer box
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jeremy_Bentham,

Welcome to the Community again Smiley Happy

I am sorry to read that there is some slowness affecting your services in the home. I have been able to run some tests on the TV services and all services you have, it looks like there is a fault that would need to be addressed ASAP. Your TiVo's SNR, (Signal to Noise Ratio), levels aren't running at the right strength and would need an engineer.

This will need an engineer and I would like to arrange this for you, if you can have a little look inside your Inbox, you'll see I've sent you a Private Message. You can find this at the top right of the page, purple envelope.

Speak to you soon and welcome into the Community.
Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Jeremy_Bentham
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Two engineers have checked this already and said everything is within normal levels. I find this SNR issue to be a distraction from just admitting there is a software issue that isn't really being looked at because everyone's focusing their attention on the V6 box.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nobody is denying that there is a huge performance issue with the latest software but.....

... you are being advised that you have a significant SNR issue that is contributing to your problem and you should have your signal levels corrected.

0 Kudos
gordy66
Up to speed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It was rubbish without the new software.

0 Kudos
Telewest
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TiVo  system info should be showing software version: 20.5.7.RC24-VMC-2-C00   at this time.

There are a few ways to speed up the TiVo.

Power down the TiVo once a month will re-fresh the software and update network link.

While the box is powered from the wall plug check all cables that link the box as they can move and this can stop a trouble later.

Also if you do not use the Thumbs on your shows you like or dislike this can be switched off and that can help with speed.

Clear out all shows recorded that you do not need as the hard drive can slow down as if fills up.

Make sure all vents on the box are cleared to help cooling which help stop damages and keep speed at max with all electric bits.

Hope this was of help

0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Telewest wrote:

TiVo  system info should be showing software version: 20.5.7.RC24-VMC-2-C00   at this time.

There are a few ways to speed up the TiVo.

Power down the TiVo once a month will re-fresh the software and update network link.

While the box is powered from the wall plug check all cables that link the box as they can move and this can stop a trouble later.

...a moving cable has nothing to do with menu speed (unless the cable has physically become unplugged)??

Also if you do not use the Thumbs on your shows you like or dislike this can be switched off and that can help with speed.

....this does not improve the speed - I have had this feature turned off for over a year, and my menus are clunky as hell - especially after waking the TiVo from sleep mode - its as if it needs to warm up first, before I can start using it. Ridiculous. 

Clear out all shows recorded that you do not need as the hard drive can slow down as if fills up.

...I only have 40% stored on mine however, menu speed is still ridiculous. 

Make sure all vents on the box are cleared to help cooling which help stop damages and keep speed at max with all electric bits.

.......yes - ALL my vents are clear (thats a given) and doesn't help with speed.

Hope this was of help

....actually, no, it wasn't - its like you're quoting from a VM rep script.

...not being funny but in reality, NONE of the above, helps with speed improvements when navigating the menus (see my responses above in red).

Bingley
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have different version in system info :-  20.5.7 RC23-VMS-2-C8A.  Unsure if this a new or old version .

0 Kudos
Telewest
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Bingley

All Software higher the numbers means newer so if your box is showing these 20.5.7 RC23-VMS-2-C8A. means that the update has not got to your area yet.

you can sometime miss out on any update if your box was off etc.    to check this power off the box  =  hold = then power back and box will look for the network as logs on it will update if it's ready for your area.

hope this is of help