Menu
chaz839
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why is my TiVo box making a strange noise?

Hi

I have just had my vigin TiVo box installed.  However whilst watching TV or even if the box is on stand by it issues a strange intermittent humming noise. It first of all sounded like someone playing music next door. The box is brand new and I can not keep it if the noise is supposed to be there. My sky box never done this!! I have tried to lifting the box off the shelf to see if it is vibration but the noise is still there. Anyone have any suggestions what to do, or do I need a new box?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is my TiVo box making a strange noise?

Bear in mind that TiVO boxes - even when on standby - are buffering the last viewed channel. So the hard disk is spinning intermittently. It's one of TiVOs useful features if you miss the start of a programme.

TiVo boxes have reported here frequently for having noisy hard disks. They don't have an internal fan so the rest of the electronics should be silent.

The recommended solution is to place the TiVO on some anti-vibration pads - like small bits of carpet.

On the other hand the hard disk could be on the way out. It happens even on new installations. Some of the boxes are refurbs.

The other cause of excessive noise could be the external power supply. Give that a listen!

If it really is intolerable phone a TV fault in to 150 and ask for a replacement (TiVo or power supply). You probably will get a tech visit.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
chaz839
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just done what you suggested, and it is still noisey. I will get on to virgin and see if they give me a new box. Many thanks for you advice. Cheers.
0 Kudos
lilrowrow
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Mine was doing the same and I'd only just went to Virgin Media so both my TiVos were new but my 1TB TiVo was always louder then the 500Gb TiVo that I also had I ended up having and engineer who replaced my Cisco 1TB box to a Samsung 1TB TiVo that's practically quite

Engineer also said that its known that the Cisco boxes are louder then the Samsung's

Also another neat fact is he also said the Samsung boxes are newer then the Cisco ones
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

lilrowrow wrote:
Mine was doing the same and I'd only just went to Virgin Media so both my TiVos were new but my 1TB TiVo was always louder then the 500Gb TiVo that I also had I ended up having and engineer who replaced my Cisco 1TB box to a Samsung 1TB TiVo that's practically quite

Engineer also said that its known that the Cisco boxes are louder then the Samsung's

Also another neat fact is he also said the Samsung boxes are newer then the Cisco ones

I have had my Cisco box from the start, i.e. four years ago, and it is not noisy. I regularly read in the room where the Tivo is located and I prefer silence when I am reading. I would notice if it was noisy.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi chaz839,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear your TiVo® box is making a strange noise.

I've managed to locate your account to run some tests. I'm not detecting any errors with the box. All the signal levels look good.

I'll now send you a private message with details on how we can proceed further. To view this click on the red envelope on the top left.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
kennysarmy
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had Virgin installed on Tuesday (replacing SKY) and can also report the hard disk being very audible above the sound of the TV.

It's extremely distracting!

I will try to cusion the feet of the Tivo box with something but would appreciate the box being checked over remotely.

Could it be a refurbished box for a brand new installation?

If there are quieter models of the box I'd appreciate a swap out please if possible, I was never aware of the SKY box making any noise whatsoever so this is quite a shock to be hearing the grinding noise of the writing hard disk above the sound of the TV.

Regards

0 Kudos
kennysarmy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Some packing foam under each of the TiVO box feet seems to have deadened the noise!
It looks awful and I don't believe I should be resorting to such heath robinson methods but if that's what you have to do to have a quiet TiVO box experience I guess I'll have to live with it!
0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

lilrowrow wrote:

I have had my Cisco box from the start, i.e. four years ago, and it is not noisy. I regularly read in the room where the Tivo is located and I prefer silence when I am reading. I would notice if it was noisy.

I don't really think its particular to Samsung or Cisco - had a number of both boxes over the years and some are virtually silent others are noticeably noisier (mainly on spin up/down).

The only real difference I have noted (apart from the layout change with the location of the rear ports and that a Cisco is noticeably heavier than a Samsung) is that Cisco boxes are far more tolerant to weaker and noisier signals. As we live quite a distance from the cabinet and have multiple services I tend to find that the Samsung boxes exhibit picture "breakup" and "tearing" whereas Cisco boxes are fine.

Checking the diagnostics screens of the boxes confirms that Samsung SNR's are normally mid 30's and the RS errors (especially on the 2nd and 3rd tuners) figure quite regularly shows it is correcting errors. Conversely Cisco boxes SNR are high 30's to low 40's and RS errors are always 0. I always try to get a Cisco box when I have to have a replacement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos