Menu
aprpac
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why is TIVO HD sound level lower than other channels and how can I resolve this?

Why is TIVO HD sound level lower than other channels and how can I resolve this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is TIVO HD sound level lower than other channels and how can I resolve this?

because it's dolby and has a wider dynamic range. if you don't have the tivo connected to a sound system change the sound output to PCM in the tivo menu

0 Kudos
aprpac
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is TIVO HD sound level lower than other channels and how can I resolve this?

Thanks for your answer. It is connected to an AV amplifier.

Surely the TIVO box firmware could compensate for this by automatically increasing the volume by x% when tuned to a HD channel?

Would Virgin Media please investigate this or provide an alternative solution.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's not a fault, so it's not something that will be changed. It's how Dolby Digital audio works.

It's a similar effect to how audio in a cinema works. When you first go in all the sound comes from the front so has to be a higher volume to reach all the seats. When the film starts the audio comes out all of the speakers so is a lower volume to achieve the same result.

If TiVo automatically increased the volume on HD channels when set to Dolby Digital, then the issue would happen in the opposite direction for customers with surround sound systems ie. HD channels would be louder than SD channels.

As has been said, the solution is to set TiVo to output PCM - this combines the up to 5.1 Dolby Digital audio for HD channels to the same 2 channels you get on SD channels.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Jinglenose
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just because something is designed to be faulty does not mean it works.

Nobody in the world wants their volume to change between HD and regular tv, this is a bug in the system.  You have to spend 30s fiddling with the volume nob every time you switch.

The setting should be configured by default and should be sent out in a bug fix patch to all existing customers.

If you have this problem you need to change the following tevo setting:

Go to "Home\Help and Settings\Settings\Audio\Dolby digital" and set it to "Dolby Digital To PCM" rather than the default.

NIgel  

0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The volume output with Dolby Digital is mean to have a wider dynamic range (like a cinema rather than a TV). This means that very loud sounds (explosions/etc) are a lot louder than you would expect vocals/music/etc to be. Obviously you can't go above 100% digital volume, so that does mean that regular playback sounds may be encoded somewhat lower in the mix than the maximum (peak) available levels, in order to provide that necessary headroom for the louder stuff to be replayed without distortion. All the TiVo is doing is relaying that studio-encoded Dolby Digital/AC3 signal straight to your amp, it does not mess with it (recent output bugs aside, anyway).

Most surround amps with DD offer an option for something generally referred to as night mode - or perhaps "neighbour-friendly mode" would be a better term - where the dynamic range is compressed so that the loud sounds become a little quieter and the low sounds are beefed up a bit, so most playback falls into the same mid-range volume level. Basically voices and music and explosions will be set at a more comparable volume level, just like normal everyday stereo TV channels work, but still with the various speakers being used directionally. Otherwise, just use the PCM Stereo sound output rather than Dolby Digital, which should already be companded in this way.

Andre