Menu
Hathers
Tuning in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Why didn't Virgin tell us about Tivo fault?

Over the past fortnight, 40% of my recorded programmes disappeared. They simply self-destructed! We had recorded complete seasons of great shows over the past year and have been looking forward to watching them. Having seen episodes 1 and 2 of the final season of Revenge, we sat down to continue last night and the rest of the season had vanished. And no they were not in the recently deleted folder! Before Christmas our Tivo was 79% full. Now it is down to 37% and we have not deleted any content! We're gutted to have lost so much content and our kids are well annoyed!

Having wasted an hour talking to Virgin last night and being told there is a known software error responsible for this carnage and annoyance, I am very disappointed with Virgin.

Why didn't they tell us that since the updates, our content will automatically delete itself after 21 days? If they had, I could have acted to protect my best-loved shows. Take my advice, until the glitch is fixed, save your content by manually going through every show and by changing the "keep until" option to "I delete". Otherwise you may get as hacked off with Virgin as me! And you too would waste your money buying the Revenge dvds... Sort it out Virgin!
0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why didn't Virgin tell us about Tivo fault?

It's doesn't delete anything after 21 days. 

Unfortunately you have a software bug. You'll make it much worse by making everything KUID.

It seems to be an odd bug in that it doesn't affect everyone. I know that doesn't help much. Search the forum for other cases.  

Hathers
Tuning in
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks parrotperson. My problem appears to be different to the KUID bug. I read those posts, but my Tivo is setting by default all new recordings to Keep until 21 days from date of recording. This never used to be the case!
0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Parrotperson wrote:

IYou'll make it much worse by making everything KUID.

It seems to be an odd bug in that it doesn't affect everyone. I know that doesn't help much. Search the forum for other cases.  

I'm one of those that has never lost a recording even though all mine are set to KUID and although I try and keep the box below 50% space used I have run boxes for several months in the high 80% and low 90% for a week or so with no problems - other than a planned recordings list that only consisted of 4 or 5 programmes (with the rest set to not enough space to record).

I have only ever had 1Tb boxes - I thought the bug only existed on the 500Gb models? I am sure I read on another post that someone had been able to get a free upgrade to 1Tb box (to replace the 500Gb) for this exact reason?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
adrianm758
Dialled in
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Nevertheless, ParrotPerson is spot on. It's a software bug, and KUID only aggrevates it.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

adrianm758 wrote:

Nevertheless, ParrotPerson is spot on. It's a software bug, and KUID only aggrevates it.

I'm another who, in nearly five years usage of a 1TB Cisco with extensive use of KUID, has never seen this bug. In fact I have never had any problems with recordings being deleted except by myself.

So what is the evidence of this software bug? As i said I have a 1TB Cisco  (I have now had a second 1TB Cisco since last month on which I am not using KUID at all)  and I think it would be useful if posters would include the details of their boxes in posts. 

I have previously suggested that VM should be noting this info so that they can see if there is a pattern. Since they do not appear to be doing so then perhaps we should do so here.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi

What is KUID and how does it work? When I record,I just select record program
0 Kudos
Hathers
Tuning in
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Click my shows.  Select a programme you have recorded, but instead of playing it, scroll to the bottom of the options.  You will see the words "Keep until".  Select that option and you will see two options - "I delete" or a particular date.

My Tivo (500gb version) is automatically defaulting to Keep until [a date 21 days after the show was recorded].  When that date arrives, the Tivo deletes the show automatically and it does not appear in "recently deleted shows" folder.  I lost half of my shows over the past fortnight because of this new feature that is presumably a result of a recent Virgin software update.

The KUID bug cannot have been the cause of my grief because I had never selected that option before.  The Tivo never got above 82% full, my default was to keep shows until space was needed, and for 3 years, the Tivo never deleted any content unless I told it to.  That has changed recently and changing the default for each show manually to KUID appears to be the only way to prevent all my content from self-destructing after 21 days!  

Perhaps this is only affecting some users with the 500gb boxes?  It happened soon after Christmas - only Virgin Media will know if there was a software update or patch at that time...  Anyone from VM able to help us with this???

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that

When I record,it gives me a choice of keeping until I delete or when there is not enough space?

VM - can you clarify this

I have TiVo 500mb box
Hathers
Tuning in
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Anybody else with a 500gb box started to lose programmes over the past month because of "auto-deleting" by their Tivo???  I am keen to know if it is just my box that has become faulty or if there was a software update affecting other users?

0 Kudos