Menu
Jobe
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Who programs the TiVo TV guide??

Hi all,

Not so much of a technical problem, but soemthing that continues to frustrate me and that is missed series linked episodes because the programme information within the programme guide is not always accurate.

Take for example my recent series link of Extreme Car Hoarders on Discovery channel. The episodes shown on 10/8 was in fact part 1 of a 2 part episode. The 2nd part should have been recorded automatically at the same time the following week 17/8 but did not do so.

It seems that the episode description in the programme guide for part 1 was exactly the same as for part 2 therefore the TiVo saw it as the same episode and did not record it.

I have also noticed that some shows display the series and episode numbers and some do not.

Is this something that Virgin Media have control over or is the data fed to our boxes by TiVo themselves?

Either way it would be great if a bit more effort was put into putting correct information in the programme guide, as this isn't the first time I have missed episodes of series linked programmes due to poor guide information.

Thanks for reading my rant!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
dave2660
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Who programs the TiVo TV guide??

The guide data is provided by an external company, but if you spot a problem the best thing to do is email Virgin Media at TivoGuideErrors@virginmedia.co.uk.  They wont reply to your email, but in my experience they normally get problems fixed within a day or so once they know about them.

All Replies
dave2660
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The guide data is provided by an external company, but if you spot a problem the best thing to do is email Virgin Media at TivoGuideErrors@virginmedia.co.uk.  They wont reply to your email, but in my experience they normally get problems fixed within a day or so once they know about them.

Jobe
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Brill, that's great to hear!

Didn't know they had that email address for those specific guide issues.

Cheers
0 Kudos
chrisfern
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have tried emailing Virgin to the address supplied but it comes back with an error saying "The email address "TivoGuideErrors@virginmedia.co.uk." is not recognised. Please fix it and try again" is the address wrong?

And in case anyone can answer my query it is this:-

On numerous occasions the programs listed in the guide are not what is being shown. Over the last few days for example (there are many others) Tennis has been listed on Sky Sports 3 which has actually shown football programs and the tennis has been on sky sports 1 which had something different listed. Very unhelpful if your trying to record something.

0 Kudos
chrisfern
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Had a full stop at end of address so have now resent OK Dont know if anything will be done. Shame you say they wont reply.

0 Kudos
GarethF
Rising star
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sky keep moving the tennis around, yesterday they took a late decision to move it. Same again today

0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My Topfield pvr had an epg refresh rate setting and would pick up listing changes at user defined intervals.

Tivo needs to update from an accurate source at least daily. There are often incorrect listings.

0 Kudos
GarethF
Rising star
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think we established somewhere TiVo updates 4 times a day. I've had one since launch and have rarely been let down.

Browser01
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It may update regularly but if it is searching an inaccurate database it will never be 100% correct.

0 Kudos
dave2660
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If there is a change to the schedules then they (the company that provides the listings to Virgin Media) are normally able to update the listings if there is enough notice. Normally it seems that if there is more than a days notice then they can cope, but less than that and it often doesn't work. Sometimes a change to the listings announced during the day for that evening does get implemented, but often it appears that they need more notice.

The situation has improved a lot since the launch of TiVo. The TiVo now checks for updated listings around four times a day (approximately every six hours), and it appears that they are now able to (and do) update the main listings database throughout the day. There are fewer issue now than there were at launch and problems seem to get fixed a lot more quickly now as well.

But it's not anywhere near as good as it should be. Last minute changes to listings don't appear. The system is incapable of dealing with live programs that overrun and the resulting reshuffling of schedules. It seems that a lot of manual intervention is needed to make changes to the listings and sometimes even updating every six hours isn't good enough, especially if the main listings database that TiVo connects to hasn't been updated.

I fully understand the technical reasons (and history) for why the TiVo works the way it does, but I really wish that the whole listings distribution system was given a total overhaul.

0 Kudos