Menu
syzygyv
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Who designed tivo? were the insane?

After 20 years with sky I switched to virgin because of trees blocking my signal.

The broadband is great, but what is this Tivo nonsense? nothing about it is any good at all. with sky you just did what you want. this is a ridiculous system. When you do a series link it records everything to do with that show even if it is not in the same series. on demand stops playing part way through a show most of the time. 

The my show sections is just a load of stuff thrown randomly into a folder.

There are many more issues.

Does anyone who used sky, not feel the same.

Did I say the broadband is amazing? 203 down 12 up

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Who designed tivo? were the insane?

there is a learning curve...

sounds like you're setting your SL's to record everything - try new only if you know the programme to be on its first showing on ANY UK channel, use new and reruns otherwise.

it also sounds like you have suggestions turned on, these can be turned off

my shows can be grouped by programme, within the folder it's oldest at the bottom - the other way round from Sky iirc.

don't use on demand myself, why bother when you can record it from the broadcast rather then rely on internet streaming.

list your other issues, i'm sure we can explain them 

0 Kudos
dartguru
Dialled in
Message 3 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Having now got lumbered with Sky, I can only suggest you give it a little time and, as has been suggested elsewhere, check what you're actually recording. New or "New and Rerun" are you're best options.

By comparison the Sky box is complete kack.  Its inability to understand that you might want to think more than one episode of (for example) Eastenders ahead and plan how you are going to cope with just two tuners is, frankly, very 1990s. With TiVo I had nearly 100 series links going on, and still had to check that it didn't try and use all three tuners at inappropriate times (like when I was in). With Sky, I've managed to handle about six series links, and have a piece of A4 with days that things are on that want to download after they've been added to On Demand. 

The ONLY thing that I've found that is better is the Box Sets and the way it downloads programmes for you.

syzygyv
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I set a series link for Sherlock using new only on bbc1. When I checked the same episode was going to be recorded two days later on bbc3 Both were shown as new. If I wish to record a series of reruns how do I record one copy of each episode if it is show several times each week. But worst of all probably, is the terrible lag. You push a button and nothing happens so you push it again when the page eventually comes up, it applies the second push to the next page.
0 Kudos
syzygyv
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Suggestions have been set at off since We got the boxes.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I think you are wish reading the display for series links  -  if you set a series link on BBC1 it will NOT record a version on BBC3 too.

Series links only work on the exact channel you set.

Suggestions have to be educated

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
syzygyv
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I was looking in "my planned recordings and it definitely did it. The bbc3 one was more than 2 weeks away so I could not have done it myself.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I've seem mis-reports for programmes 15 days in the future - but they correct the following day.   But MPR can not record BBC3 programmes from a BBC1 series link.

But viewing upcoming episodes will report other channels.

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
syzygyv
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Are you saying some of the things in "my planned recording" will not be recorded?

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 44
Flag for a moderator

No - but sometimes looking at the 15th day can be odd as TiVo only seems to search correctly for the stated 14 days.

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos