Menu
marsocky
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

When will VM solve BBC iPlayer and other apps being excruciatingly slow on TiVo?

I've read through the forums on BBC iPlayer and other apps excruciatingly slow on TiVo and come to the conclusion that VM are not prepared to do anything on this. Can I have a definitive answer on FirmWare upgrades for TiVo to address this problem. I'm fortunate that I have an iPlayer app on my Samsung TV. Its unbelievable that VM are allowing this situation to go unaddressed. Frankly, the anodyne responses from the tech team are an embarrassment.

If we had BT Infinity in this area I'd think seriously about joining it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: When will VM solve BBC iPlayer and other apps being excruciatingly slow on TiVo?

I understand your concern but it is really a non-issue for you as you have a suitable solution for BBC iPlayer.

I too think that the loading of all apps is far too slow but, once loaded, they all perform well.

I very rarely use iPlayer as I use TiVo to record what I want to watch but when I do, I stream iPlayer to my Chromecast.

0 Kudos
marsocky
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: When will VM solve BBC iPlayer and other apps being excruciatingly slow on TiVo?

Thanks for the patronising response. If it was a 'non-issue' as you put it, I wouldn't have bothered posting. It is very much an issue as I am paying for a service and part of that service is, I presume, the apps on the TiVo. In addition, I'd rather use the iPlayer app on the TiVo rather than the Samsung TV app and I believe I should have that choice.

I'm really not sure what the role of a superuser is or whether you work for VM but I would have thought my comment in my first post about 'anodyne responses' would have alerted you to the fact that I would really like this aspect of my service to work.

The question is, "When will VM solve BBC iPlayer and other apps being excruciatingly slow on TiVo?", not, "How can you make me feel better about a poor feature of VM's service which they seem to be refusing to take seriously?" My experience of these apps is that they take forever to load and perform poorly with frequent buffering. When I have called VM about this I've been asked to 'monitor the situation' and 'advise them if it gets worse'. I've also been told they'll be back to me with a solution - they haven't. Now I see that I'm one of a very large group of people who are having the same experience, it seems logical to me that VM should provide a definitive response about a FirmWare upgrade or a new machine coming out that will specifically address this problem. Interestingly, I'm thinking of upgrading my TV and, to be honest, I'd rather not get one with apps - I clearly don't have a great deal of choice on that score.

I really don't need comforting. Thanks

fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The Iplayer on my Tivo takes a while to load up, but once there, everything runs smoothly, so in respects of @ernie_c reply, I tend to agree with him.

No help to you though I appreciate.

How long is "excruciatingly slow" - in my case, its around 20 seconds

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

OK.

1. The slow loading of the TiVo BBC iPlayer will not improve with the current TiVo hardware.

2. If you have buffering or stuttering of the BBC iPlayer app once loaded, you should make a fault call to Virgin Media as you have an issue with the performance of TiVo's onboard internet connection or general power levels.

3. I am a customer, same as you; just trying to help.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just out of interest I have taken a few minutes off to check how long iPlayer takes to load on my TiVo.

For me, "excruciatingly slow" is 90 seconds including about 20 seconds of completely black screen. However, once there everything runs ok.....at the moment.

It's interesting that VM make a big thing about how fast their broadband is because it means that you don't have to wait around while you download a huge file but then say that having to wait 90 seconds while your TiVo loads the iPlayer app is ok because it works ok once it's loaded.

Coenoby

If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos