Menu
cmachugh
Settling in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What type of coax cable do virgin use for tivo boxes - Cross post as i cant read forums correctly.

Pretty much what the title says,

I got my quick start pack the other day however I only recieved like 1.5m of cabling and my Virgin Socket is in a different room in the house so will need like 20m of cabling to connect everything up.

Does anyone have a link to what cable that virgin use for their coax cables so i know im getting the right one?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: What type of coax cable do virgin use for tivo boxes - Cross post as i cant read forums correctly.

VM use there own cable that is made for them. If you install 20m of cable you will effect the power levels and may disrupt your service. If you need more cable you should get a engineer to install
0 Kudos
cmachugh
Settling in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: What type of coax cable do virgin use for tivo boxes - Cross post as i cant read forums correctly.

Right, really dont feel like paying £100 for an engineer to come out just to run a cable through...that feels really excessive.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Go ahead (I don't think so). Here is what will happen. As sure as eggs is eggs you will upset your power levels and others on your network segment.  You will also introduce noise into the network which will travel far and wide because standard cable and cable connectors are prone to this which is why VM use special coax and connectors.

They will report that to VM (as you will because your box won't work properly) and VM will detect it anyway.  They will see that you have broken your terms and conditions of service because everything up to the point where the coax connects to your box is on their side of network and out of bounds to you. They will disconnect you and charge you to put right the issue that you have caused.  They may even deny you reconnection.

Sounds apocalyptic and it probably is. And I don't mean to lecture you excessively, just make the choices stark. But playing around with your provider's network is not the thing to do.

The alternative scenario is to phone them up and say you now realise that self-install won't work for you because you need the socket shifting. They'll be happy to oblige. The connection point will get moved.  The power levels will be correctly adjusted for the new location at the street cabinet and you'll have proper service.

You've paid a little for the self-install and there will be a balance but no more than £50 in total (the usual box install charge) if you discuss nicely when you phone. After all you weren't to realise the consequences of your initial decision. Self install looked like the right thing.

I know what I'd prefer of these two scenarios.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
cmachugh
Settling in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If i can avoid doing it myself i would prefer, im just abit annoyed that when i spoke to Virgin on the phone they told me that no engineer visit would be required as i already had broadband in the flat. And they didnt ask if the box was in a different room to where the socket was, this is kinda on my part too as I failed to mention that to them too, but to me it kind of feels like i have paid for a service that i cant actually obtain without shelling out another sizable amount of money to have someone come out and run a cable through to the room next door.

I would like to avoid having the socket moved, all i really need is more cabling, like i said i would really only use 3rd party cabling as a last resort but i feel like £100 is far too much for this.

0 Kudos
cmachugh
Settling in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Also just off hand, when i spoke to customer services earlier regarding this i was advised to go to a hardware store and pick up the extra cabling myself Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

good luck finding the cable
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I would like to avoid having the socket moved, all i really need is more cabling, like i said i would really only use 3rd party cabling as a last resort but i feel like £100 is far too much for this.

I said I doubt it would be as much as that. But VM must extend a run of your proposed length. CS might have been right about a short extension (tho' I'd still be wary of that advice). Still it's up to you. We've advised the best we can.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
cmachugh
Settling in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I do appreciate the advice, and i will try phone again tomorrow to see if i can get an engineer out.

Thanks

0 Kudos
bladesong
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I never had any issues moving boxes to different rooms and adjusting the length of cabling.  I would say that as long as your not adding or removing connectors and splitters you should be fine unless you have a truly huge change in cable length.

0 Kudos