Menu
Yarrow
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What file formats are playable from the Virgin Cloud via Tivo on my TV. avi files dont seem to work.

Uploaded some films in avi format but Tivo says cant play.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: What file formats are playable from the Virgin Cloud via Tivo on my TV. avi files dont seem to work.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=168046&CURRENT...

• BMP - 1, 8 and 24 bit images are supported. Files using run-length compression are not.
  • GIF - Both GIF87a and GIF89a versions of the GIF file format are supported.
  • ICO - MS Windows icon files. The largest available icon is read.
  • JPEG - 8 bit greyscale and 24 bit images are supported.
  • PNG - 1, 8, 24 and 32 bit non-interlaced images are supported.
  • TGA - 24 and 32 bit uncompressed and run-length encoded TGA files are supported.
  • TIFF - Images with compression modes: uncompressed, PackBits, LZW, or JPEG are supported.
Supported video files
  • AVI (.avi)
  • DivX (.divx)
  • Flash Video (.flv)
  • Matroska (.mkv)
  • MPEG-TS (.mts, .vob, .m2v)
  • MPEG2-TS (.m2ts)
  • 3GPP, 3GP, 3GP2 (.3gp, 3g2)
  • MPEG-4 (.isom, .mp4, .m4v)
  • OGG (.ogg, .ogv, .ogx)
  • QuickTime (.qt, .mov)
  • WebM (.webm)
  • H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
Supported audio files
  • AIFF (.aif, .aiff)
  • AC-3 (.ac3)
  • ADTS (.adts, .aac)
  • AMR (.amr)
  • FLAC (.flac)
  • MPEG Audio (.mp1, .mp2, .mp3)
  • MLP (.mlp)
  • OGG (.ogg, .oga, spx)
  • Wave (.wav, .wave)

There are some exceptions where the Virgin Media Cloud app will not be able display the content.

Some examples are;

• When the file is DRM-protected
  • When the audio or video codec is not whitelisted
  • When the input file is clearly broken

0 Kudos
adrianm758
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: What file formats are playable from the Virgin Cloud via Tivo on my TV. avi files dont seem to work.

I've noticed as well that avi doesn't work. However mp4 always work very well.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

adrianm758 wrote:

I've noticed as well that avi doesn't work. However mp4 always work very well.

it would depend on the codec

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How long did you wait from after the files were uploaded to Cloud and you trying to play them?

I ask as I found out the hard way after a Sunday wasted trying to get various files to work after my initual 3 test files worked the day before.

I tried recoding/cutting to make the files smaller etc all to no avail, now they all work after a period of time.

I think it is like YouTube where you need to let the videos process (I assume that is what's happening).

The larger the files the longer it takes.

You can test this using the Web based Cloud client on your PC that you are using to upload these files (suppose it will be same for installed client) and will see they simply do not play initially but display a thumbnail of a scene from the video and are missing an Play/Pause buttons etc.

If you try to view on a mobile device it will say "Preparing for Streaming" and does nothing (not sure how long it will remains like this but I gave up after it sitting like that for 5mins).

I uploaded 4 files @ 1.06GB each last night and left them till today and now they can stream fine.

FYI these files were 1080p .MP4 and audio was .ACC even though .AAC is not on supported list it plays fine.

V: Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)

A: Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)

0 Kudos
Yarrow
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this.

Yes, took some time to upload but did not work in the avi format they were in so

jhuk wrote:

How long did you wait from after the files were uploaded to Cloud and you trying to play them?

I ask as I found out the hard way after a Sunday wasted trying to get various files to work after my initual 3 test files worked the day before.

I tried recoding/cutting to make the files smaller etc all to no avail, now they all work after a period of time.

I think it is like YouTube where you need to let the videos process (I assume that is what's happening).

The larger the files the longer it takes.

You can test this using the Web based Cloud client on your PC that you are using to upload these files (suppose it will be same for installed client) and will see they simply do not play initially but display a thumbnail of a scene from the video and are missing an Play/Pause buttons etc.

If you try to view on a mobile device it will say "Preparing for Streaming" and does nothing (not sure how long it will remains like this but I gave up after it sitting like that for 5mins).

I uploaded 4 files @ 1.06GB each last night and left them till today and now they can stream fine.

FYI these files were 1080p .MP4 and audio was .ACC even though .AAC is not on supported list it plays fine.

V: Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)

A: Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)

converted the files on my PC to mp4, re-uploaded and working fine.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Going by your 1st comment above I am not sure you got me.

I am not talking about the time taken to upload, I mean once the file is 100% uploaded and passed the "checking" stage (if you ever sat there as it hits 100% it will next say checking) it will be on the Cloud but will not stream for now.

If you did get me then fine. Smiley Happy

Remember a lot of these file extensions are not really codecs but containers, technically WMV and DIVX and XVID are all .AVI.

Most modern files are .MP4 or .MKV and are on the supported list but some may not work due to variations.

0 Kudos
lydia622520
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What you need is just a common video converter. There are many kinds of video converter software on market. One highly recommended program is Brorsoft Video Converter.

I have used Brorsoft video converter for two years now. I like its stability and its ease of use. Now its been upgraded to Ultimate for more functions. What more can I say. A reliable company, great product!! Thanks Brorsoft.

0 Kudos