Menu
Timmooreuk
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What actual use is a TiVo box ???

Hi all,

I wouldn't buy a TiVo if I was buying a DVR, as many others have noted, the box is simply too slow.

Given I have Sky Sports through NowTV - much cheaper than through Virgin, and I only watch either a bit of catchup TV or Sky news, I'm assuming I could buy any DVR and plug it in - is that correct?

I'm clearly paying, somewhere in my pricing, for the TiVo box, but I'm of a mind to just send it back and either buy my own DVR or get IPTV. All I'd miss is BT Sport - and that's not a great miss and I'd save 18 quid per month.

Is my logic wonky?

Tim 

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: What actual use is a TiVo box ???

only a virgin authorised box will work. but you can connect things to the virgin hub if it uses the internet.

our tvo is fine. keep seeing people moan about it, but it works just as good after the recent update.

0 Kudos
Wonds
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Your tivo may be fine. Why try to belittle someone who is having issues? Quite a lot of people are having the same problems...
Bingley
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moan ?  No,  people are complaining not moaning as its not fit for purpose. Vm have admitted on friday there`s a problem with it. 

0 Kudos
gplh
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes there are issues vm posted re this friday and just a quick look at the forums  will show this  Its not "moaning" its complaining that the box  you pay a premium for over the basic box is slow  etc after the upgrade in particular. Initially when they first came out they were horrid, I was an early adopter and rapidly sent it back, I could go upstairs cold start the + box and be at the first ad break while the tivo was still hunting around but gradually it got debugged so I got one again and while not the worlds most impressive device mine has run pretty well till recently, with some work and v23 seems a bit better again.

I suspect that in order to compete with rivals features and extend the box life the hardware is being asked to do more than it easily can and the software tweaks are not having the development time they should leading to more as MS would say "undocumented features" , one of MS's best phrases ever!

0 Kudos