Menu
Clairin
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Way too slow!

Hi,

I was hoping for some help, our tivo box seems to have gone in to old age.
At the moment we have the following issues:

Extremely slow at responding to the remote
Will freeze randomly
My shows take an age to load
Changing channel takes more time than it should
online features un usable

I have tried rebooting many times which doesn't make any difference really.
Is there something I can do to bring it back or is it time for the old fokes home?

Thanks
Tags (1)

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Way too slow!

Hi Clairin,

Welcome to the Community!

There's a little trick you can try to help speed up the box. Just go to the Home screen and press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds.

This process clears unnecessary background data on the box to help speed it up!

All the best  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
Mich1206
Just joined
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi yes. We are experiencing exactly the same we only had our tivo box installed on the 4th of August this year and it is soo slow!! Takes an age to get a recorded show on and it's not worth going through all the hassle and told to delete once it's done. It takes far to long just to bring up a menu... so frustrating. Any ideas anyone
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Clairin,

Welcome to the Community!

There's a little trick you can try to help speed up the box. Just go to the Home screen and press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds.

All the best  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

stevef
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Josh_RW wrote:

If the data is "unnecessary" why doesn't tivo not create it, or remove it automatically. The user should not be expected to do manual cleanup operations on a device like tivo.

0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Josh_RW wrote:

you can try to help speed up the box. Just go to the Home screen and press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds.

I thought that was just to reset the interface? Wouldn't a box reboot do the same? Our TiVo has been very slow (especially navigating menus, loading My Shows, etc) for a few weeks now, and rebooting does not help. We're only at about 40% usage, so not especially full.

Andre

Clairin
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks josh I'll give this a go and get back to you.

It is getting worse tho tried to watch the bake off tonight and it took 5 mins to play really not great but hopefully what you have suggested will help.

0 Kudos
Clairin
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm not confirming josh's answer to be right I just didn't know what the green tick did...oops
0 Kudos
Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was experiencing deathly slow performance on my quite new (just over a couple of months) box and stumbled across this. Worked a treat, but what is this 'unnecessary background data' and will it need to be cleared out again in another couple of months?
0 Kudos
HavencroftKev
Up to speed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My TiVo box is also ridiculously slow, I have cleared all data but this is only a quick fix and within hours it is really slow again. Are Virgin Media aware and working towards fixing the issues? 

0 Kudos
MAG123
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I spoke to their tech team today and they advised that this clearing of temporary files (unused data) needs to be done every 7th day to avoid it becoming slow again. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/TiVo-Top-Tips-Spring-Cleaning/ba-p/3189009

not really acceptable in my opinion especially considering the recent price increase.

I've had the same TiVO since they were launched and up until the last couple of months it's been flawless, but my box is now pretty much useless for watching recorded tv and even pausing live TV which seems to restart as if its buffering all the time.

Part of me wonders whether it's intentional given they will be selling the V6 box soon so they're hoping all their customers who are so disillusioned with the current TiVo box will upgrade to the new one that solves all the problems these updates have created.

0 Kudos