Menu
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Virgin misses the boat again....

So once again Virgin has missed out on the opportunity to be a truly innovative company that it really should be...

BT have announced both a 4k channel and new 4k box for later this year.  Surely the Virgin network gives Virgin a great opportunity to offer a ground breaking new service that its competitors are unable to offer but have been beaten to it by BT of all people.

Does annoy me that Virgin should have been first out of the blocks with a new improved 4K Tivo box, instead no doubt they will play catch up long after Sky have announced their new offering as well....

This isn't 3d where I could sort of understand the lets wait and see attitude, I strongly believe 4k is going to be the norm as HD is now.  Why not be a tech leader for once instead of a tech follower???

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin misses the boat again....

What channels do you want to watch in 4K?

As there are none

Assuming the 4K channel will be Sport and BTs own I doubt they will share

And let's add up the percentage of Virgin Viewers who have bot a 4K set (That's HDR compliant) and subscribe to the sports channels and would be willing to pay a premium for this service, perhaps 0.05% 

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

So we just constantly play catch up with other providers, that's where my sub goes for r&d is it??

I bet apple are kicking themselves that they released the iphone and ipad when they did!!!

Someone best tell Samsung and LG to stop producing 4k tv sets, noone wants them.....
0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

My son and I were both looking for new smart tv's before xmas. We were told by the oik and his supervisor in PC World that Virgin were already test narrowcasting 4K. I know from painful experience that they(pcw) are No1 BS artists but we assumed that this information was probably correct.

However, I once bought a state of the art NICAM stereo tv from them and waited for the next two years for stereo programs to be broadcast and even then the stereo offerings were few and far between. If you want to be ahead of the curve go for 4K as I think you will probably get some use out of it as IMO internet programming will be widely available in this format very soon. You won't have to wait for Virgin to wake up to the 'next best thing' if you are 4K and internet enabled. 

I have waited because, the current smart HD appliances will serve extremely well, for long enough, for 4K prices to become realistic and by then it will probably be on the way to becoming the norm across all platforms.(And then they will try sucking you in to buy 5K)

Remember also, Virgin already find it difficult to get things working properly for 'all' of their customers because of their utilisation congestion problems. Think how much worse this might get if they started to pump even more data down their already struggling network cables and head ends.

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

But that's Virgin all over, we make excuses for their poor performance, and then seem happy to accept it. If BT can manage it on a connection that is not entirely fibre optic then Virgin should be able to comfortably manage it on their network, but rather than challenge it and ask questions we accept it won't happen, that's not progress, but rather stagnation.

I want Virgin to be at the forefront of new innovation and I'm sure they would to if you had the opportunity to ask their executive committee. I can just about swallow being beaten to second place by scummy Sky, but BT, seriously Virgin you should hang your head in shame!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

mbonnick wrote:
So we just constantly play catch up with other providers, that's where my sub goes for r&d is it??

I bet apple are kicking themselves that they released the iphone and ipad when they did!!!

Someone best tell Samsung and LG to stop producing 4k tv sets, noone wants them.....

Your sub goes to pay for the TV service and broadband, what Virgin do with it is entirely up to them as it is their money

When there is a worthwhile user base of 4K TV owners who have a 2.0a compatible HDMI ports (and no TVs have this of yet though some very few can do so via a firmware upgrade) and there are a few channels broadcasting I expect Virgin/liberty will bring out a Box

Anyone who bought a 4K TV last year or early this year that is not a Samsung with the separate box has basically wasted their money, 2.0a HDMI port TVs are just arriving in the market and even now they cannot do the full colour and luminosity range demanded by HDR My advice is to wait until the standard is set and the fully complaint TVs reach the shelves (give it a year)

Then it's worth talking about 4K boxes

Browser01
Superfast
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Tivo have bought the defunct Aereo(Roavio)system. My electronic 'go to' guy tells me that "rumour has it.... this could become VM's tivo mk2". Anybody heard anything?

0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Agree to disagree then.....

Not meaning to be argumentative but it seems strange then that BT should release one soon if we as consumers are so far from being ready???

They must be confident that enough of their customers already have or will soon have suitable kit, or that this will attract enough new customers to make the investment worthwhile.

I can't help but feel Sky and BT are the Apple and Android of the Television media services field when it comes to innovation and sadly Virgin are the woefully late to market Windows Phone. Cautious but inevitably lacking.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

mbonnick wrote:
Agree to disagree then.....

Not meaning to be argumentative but it seems strange then that BT should release one soon if we as consumers are so far from being ready???

They must be confident that enough of their customers already have or will soon have suitable kit, or that this will attract enough new customers to make the investment worthwhile.

I can't help but feel Sky and BT are the Apple and Android of the Television media services field when it comes to innovation and sadly Virgin are the woefully late to market Windows Phone. Cautious but inevitably lacking.

Do you think Android and Apple were the 1st smart phones to the market?

Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi there guys, 

Just wanted to add a little something in here. At the moment there is no information that I am aware of regarding 4K transmissions on the Virgin Media network. However we are always looking towards embracing new technology, and as soon as we have any information that we can share on this, then we will definately be singing about it here on our forums. 

Keep an eye on our News Boards, ( Click here to view our News Board ) where will make any announcements. 

Cheers

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos