Menu
Highlighted
Egwechris
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin cannot install services?

Signed up for Virgin 6 weeks ago, had 2 engineers out last week to look at site and they said there was no T junction in place and another team would fit it and the cable. Then get told today (3 days before installation date!) that we can't have Virgin as too expensive to lay the cable..
Can we pay towards the costs? Neighbours opposite have Virgin so don't understand why we can't? We have now incurred costs with old service provider too.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin cannot install services?

Egwechris wrote:

Can we pay towards the costs?

Certainly you can. Unfortunately its not a case of forty quid to run a cable across the road. Think more like thousands, especially if the street cabinet is full and a new one needs installed. How deep are your pockets? Even installing a new service tee is big money by the time you cost in new ducting, digging the pavement up and re-instating.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No service Tee so no ducting feeding your property for the cable to be carried in. VM will go up to a certain figure & then it becomes uneconomic to add just one property to the network. The figures are far more generous now than they used to be, so there must be a serious problem with the road or service strip outside the premisis.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Egwechris
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I guess that's fair enough... but I had 2 engineers out who spray painted where the T junction should go. Why didn't they tell me it wasn't feasible, rather than getting a phonecall 3 days before installation, meaning I'm now trying to stop old provider cutting me off!?!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Egwechris wrote:
Ok, I guess that's fair enough... but I had 2 engineers out who spray painted where the T junction should go. Why didn't they tell me it wasn't feasible, rather than getting a phonecall 3 days before installation, meaning I'm now trying to stop old provider cutting me off!?!

Because engineers know engineering and accountants know profitability (hopefully LOL) Not making excuses for VM, its something they should be making clear up front that in some cases site surveys are required and connections are subject to a costing. They should also be advising you to overlap your current service provider with an install date in case things go wrong as they sometimes do.

0 Kudos