Menu
GRS1947
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin TV Anywhere

The website shows that my Google Nexus 7 is supported for the TV Anywhere App, yet it does not work.  I get a message advising me to link my TV to my router with an ethernet cable! Grateful for advice please.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin TV Anywhere

What are you trying to do? If you're trying to stream channels, then only certain ones are available via the app. For instance Channel 4 is available, but the BBC channels aren't
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
GRS1947
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ben. Firstly, after I sign in I'm asked which Tivo (I have 2 but I can not see numbers on the Tivo which correspond to the numbers displayed in the App.  Anyway just clicking on one brings up a list of all the channels I have in my package. If I click on Channel 4 > Watch Now, the next window has either "Watch on TV" (greyed out) or "Watch on Phone". The App is on my tablet, not my phone. Choosing the TV option brings a message "Not connected to Tivo Box on Home Network, with an Ok or Connect option. I click on connect and get " Tivo Box not found on Network. I click on the "Setup Guide" option, which takes me to a webpage "Home Connectivity" asking if the Tivo is in the same room as my super hub or another room. I choose same room and it asks me to connect the two with an ethernet cable.  

Seems to defeat the object of being able to access "up to 90 channels" away from home via wi-fi.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

GRS1947 wrote:

Thanks Ben. Firstly, after I sign in I'm asked which Tivo (I have 2 but I can not see numbers on the Tivo which correspond to the numbers displayed in the App.  Anyway just clicking on one brings up a list of all the channels I have in my package. If I click on Channel 4 > Watch Now, the next window has either "Watch on TV" (greyed out) or "Watch on Phone". The App is on my tablet, not my phone. Choosing the TV option brings a message "Not connected to Tivo Box on Home Network, with an Ok or Connect option. I click on connect and get " Tivo Box not found on Network. I click on the "Setup Guide" option, which takes me to a webpage "Home Connectivity" asking if the Tivo is in the same room as my super hub or another room. I choose same room and it asks me to connect the two with an ethernet cable.  

Seems to defeat the object of being able to access "up to 90 channels" away from home via wi-fi.

For 'Watch on phone' read 'watch on mobile device'.  Click it and if your tablet is compatible the programme will play on your tablet.  It does on my samsung tablet as I have just got my first TiVo and have been investigating what it can do.

GRS1947
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Graham and thanks.  Mixed results.  First time I clicked on the "Watch Phone" it asked me to register my device.  Doing so I got the spinning circle (wait while something is happening) symbol, which went on for at least 10 minutes before I used the "return to TV anywhere" button to stop it.  Going then to the channel list I found that BBC 1 2 and 4 would not work ( as Ben had earlier mentioned), Sky 1 worked but not Sky 2 (streaming problem), ITV 2 worked but Gold and Pick did not.  In the case of those which did not work I did not get the "Watch Phone" option.

I don't understand, if Virgin have given so much publicity to this facility, why it needs to be so difficult and why they have not warned about the inconsistencies.  I noticed when I got the app from the Google Play Store that most of the reviews were negative because of "not working" problems, and that Virgin's response to the criticism was for users to use this Forum to find solutions.  And so here we are......... 

0 Kudos
GRS1947
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I had forgotten that I had posted this problem before.  Evidently I gave up after getting nowhere and Virgin Media's "How can we help you?" does not permit a phone call.

I now have an android phone and an iPad 4 mini.  I prefer not to use the phone for TV but installed TV Anywhere on it because of this problem: on my iPad, I've successfully installed the app and can see the program lists, the 2 Tivo boxes, and the "My Shows" which accurately reflect programms recorded on my TV. The problem is that I can not view anything on the iPad.  The message pop-up requires me to register my device, but I've done that already and the registration page shows clearly that the iPad is one of the two allowable devices which IS registered.  

I then decide to install the app on my android phone (my second allowable device - no other devices registered).  I am bale to view live TV (apart from BBC1 which requires the iPlayer app (have installed that and it works), but the different problem with the phone comes when I try to access the programs in "My Shows". Again both Tivo boxes are listed but the pop u- says " Selected Tivo Box was not found.  Make sure you are connected to the same network as your Tivo Box then try again".  A strange message given that there is only one network in my house and all my devices access the internet without problem from that one unit.

Grateful for anyone's help with this please.

Geoff

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Geoff, 

Thanks for coming back to us with an update on this and apologies to hear you are having continued problems with TV Anywhere Smiley Sad

If we look at one device at a time as they are both showing different issues. Once we've dealt with one, we'll then move on to the other. 

The iPad is up first. If you updated the app or the OS then you would need to re-register your device. It's easy to do though so don't worry. 

Using a PC/Laptop go to anywhere.virginmedia.com > My Profile > Device Settings. Remove the current registration by clicking on the Delete button. Once you've done this, using the device you are trying to re-register, open up TV Anywhere and log in. Try to stream Channel 4 and this should then prompt you to register the device.

I have added a device change for you to use so if you follow the prompts on the screen, this will register the device for you and streaming will then commence Smiley Happy

Let me know how that goes so we can then look into the Android device. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
GRS1947
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Kath.  I'm now back in the UK.  Having got to "Device Settings" on my PC, the message says "Device could not be detected" and above that "Sorry you have no device changes remaining this month".  Prior to re-reading your message below, I recall trying again to access the APP last night and finding that some of the things I clicked on did work, whereas others had the "watch now" greyed out.

Just as an observation, I guess I've come late to the fact that the title "Anywhere" is misleading as it's only available in the U.K.  Before I had realised that, I have been trying to use the APP abroad, often with the pop up message "unsupported territory" appearing.

Geoff

0 Kudos