Menu
Dave330
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Very slow menu navigation - reboot only temporary fix

As per title really - I'm getting to the end of my tether with this now. I gave up trying to use the apps (youtube etc) earlier in the year as it was clear that there was some unsolvable underlying performance issue, but it's getting to the point where it can take 5-10s for a menu to refresh, for example while flipping between 'guide' and 'my shows'.

Considering this is a flagship and heavily promoted device I can't believe the performance is so bad, particularly when compared to the current SkyHD box. From reading around this forum and the wider web it appears that this is not an isolated problem, and it appears that there is no solution.

The Fibre Broadband is the only reason that I haven't already jumped ship and I remain ever hopeful that this issue will be resolved, or is it simply that the hardware is not, and will never be, up to the job? Does anyone out there have any tips other than putting it on a timer switch to reboot every night that might ease our pain? (box has under 30% disc usage as well).

Cheers.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
mutt08
Superfast
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow menu navigation - reboot only temporary fix

This seems to be a very common Tivo issue at the moment with a lot of threads mentioning similar problems.

I'm having exactly the same problems with my Tivo but ''Seriously'' not expecting it to be resolved anytime soon.

Dave330
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure you're right - in reality I suspect it can't actually be fixed as I imagine the hardware is simply not up to the job. It would be nice for VM to own up to this so we could make informed decisions about what we're willing to tolerate though, rather that keeping everyone hanging on...

0 Kudos
beejayfox
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely with you on this. In addition to your comments on the Sky Box we have a perfect comparison with the "youview" box used in the bedroom. Need I say more than that it works much faster in every respect and is of course free of charge after original purchase.

Rebooting doesn't work for long, if at all.The experience when using BBC IPlayer, ITV Player and C4 OD is so slow as to cause you to forget what you were looking for during the process!

When you combine that with the niggle of the right arrow being difficult to judge and you have a customer whose already thinning hair is being rapidly further depleted!

I feel totally frustrated, unloved and almost unwanted as a customer as there is realistically nowhere to turn.

As we all know the complaint process is so infuriatingly slow by requiring us to wait in a queue, be bombarded with endless menu messages, require us to prove our identity twice (why ??? you know our phone numbers ???) and then be cheerily told that you are getting us some help (which you don't !). The final insult is to be put through to someone who barely speaks English and is working through a frustrating series of menu options on a screen

I can't wait much longer for this to get better and if it weren't for the relative speed of the broadband I would have been off before now. 

Virginmedia beware! BT Infinity is coming for you!

Happy new year to all !

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave330,

Thanks for coming by and I'm sorry to hear that you're experience slow speeds on the TiVo® service.

I'd like to take a look and check this out for you.  I have carried out various checks with your box remotely, I have found that there is high demand occurring on the network currently.  This will slow things down especially on Apps like BBC iPlayer/YouTube etc.  

This has been escalated to our network engineering teams to work on and make the necessary improvements.  This may take some time as the work required to make the necessary improvements can take some time.  

If the situation hasn't improved by the 24th Feb, feel free to give us a shout and request an update.  The reference number for this is F004049949.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.  If you need anything else, don't hesitate to give us a shout anytime.

All the best,

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Dave330
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colette,

Thanks for taking a look at this - I remain ever hopeful!

Cheers,

Dave

0 Kudos
Dave330
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

And here we are on the 24th. Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, my Tivo is equally as underwhelming as it was six weeks ago. Menus still excruciatingly slow and apps like YouTube still essentially unusable.

I'm posting this more as a marker in the sand than to expect any short term resolution as I'm pretty sure this is an unfixable firmware/hardware issue rather than network related. It really is only the broadband that keeps me on side - disheartening stuff indeed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave330,

Thanks for coming back to us with an update.  

I have taken a look and checked for the latest based on this reference, work has been extended and we will know more by the 16th March.  I'm sorry that there is no quicker solution here.

If you do want another update down the line just give us another shout and we'll be happy to check for you.

Have a lovely week end.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Dave330
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Collette.

If nothing is resolved by then I'll raise it with the CS dept - this long with a rubbish service at full price isn't really much cop.

0 Kudos
Dave330
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

And now here we are on the 16th. Still unsurprisingly, performance remains terrible 2.5 months after reporting it (and many more since it began). Presumably this is either actually or economically unsolvable. Either way my patience has run out. Can you ask someone in a senior position in CS to get in touch with me please?

0 Kudos