Menu
stevros88
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Very noisy new Tivo box

After signing up to Virgin I installed my new Tivo box on Saturday (24/12), but what I presume is the hard drive, is making an awful lot of noise which I can clearly hear above the TV. I've searched the forum and come across possible solutions of resting it on polystyrene and coasters, neither of which have worked. It's resting on a wooden TV shelf at the moment. Are there any other suggestions before an engineer comes out to have a look at it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Ds2d12
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very noisy new Tivo box

I had this too! I found having the box placed on something that means it's feet don't touch anything.
Like a few coasters in the middle.
0 Kudos
Ollie24
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have the same problem. Rang Virgin and they are sending me another box although I'm not sure that's going to be any different to the one I have. If there is no difference then I will think about cancelling my service as it's distracting above the noise of the TV and in my opinion not good enough. Don't see why the customer should have to find solutions to stop the noise!
0 Kudos
stevros88
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just tried that, not making any less noise. The only way I can get it to make less noise is to be actually holding it up, which obviously it's slightly inconvenient.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

On a wooden shelf in an enclosed space?

It'll be acting as a soundboard, amplifying the HDD whirring.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
stevros88
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do you have any suggestions as to what I could do to try and reduce the noise?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A few small pieces of something under the feet usually work, though I confess I haven't noticed the box whirring for years.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
stevros88
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've had it sat on top of a cushion on the shelf and it's still making a load of noise. I've even got it sat on said cushion on the floor rather than in an enclosed space and it's still quite noisy. Aside from somehow acquiring some kind of soundproof box to put it in, I'm struggling for ideas. I've tried putting cardboard underneath it, sitting it on bits of polystyrene and coasters too.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi stevros88,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you've got noisy box trouble.

If it's still making noise after everything you've tried then it's probably worth getting a technician to take a look! I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange a technician.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos