Menu
rollocks
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Very Slow TIVO

For months my TIVO has been slow. I have just put up with it . However my colleague has the new box. Went to see it and its really quick like my TIVO used to be. I have tried resolving the issues by advice on this forum but its still rubbish. Please advise

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very Slow TIVO

Tivos are slow, v6s are fast
0 Kudos
MikeFen
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

get v6 and pay extra for the service you should get on tivo
0 Kudos
vircom
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately the Tivo has been crippled by the last few updates and does not look as if it will ever be fixed. Repeated resets etc can just about keep it limping on but the only way to get acceptable service is to get a V6 box. For some reason Virgin think you should pay to update their box for them and from what I have seen you may also loose any discounts.
As usual New Customers get the best kit and lower prices. If you are out of contract you could go elsewhere for a year then come back to Virgin on a better deal. Alternatively you can put up with the Tivo and hope for the V6 to be available at no/lower cost once the early adopters have been milked.
tevaka
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I sat down and calculated that if I 'upgraded' to a V6 box over 4 yrs I'd be worse off than buying a £400 UHD/HDR LG TV.
The UHD TV has Iplayer,ITVHub,All4,NowTV,Netflix,YouTube,Amazon Prime etc etc ALL of which work very fast with no whirling wheel or 15 second waits between each button press.It also makes even standard HD programmes look better.
I only keep VM to watch HD BTSport,Fox,Sky channels and the fast broadband which does work but maybe VM will screw that up too as they did so successfully with TIVO.
So I use TIVO to record via SeriesLink and put up with slow speed rather than pay VM a £65 install/registration fee plus the £17 pm increase at end of contract which is bound to go up as usual.
Cutting of my nose a bit I know but I live alone and don't record huge amounts as CatchUp is now so much more reliable via SmartTV.
I also deprive greedy VM/Liberty Media of
revenue they try to extort by downgrading TIVO to push V6 sales.

0 Kudos
vircom
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I don't believe Virgin intentionally wrecked the Tivo. It's more likely they just kept adding features/Apps beyond the capabilities of the hardware.
I agree that catch up is better on a smart TV or steaming box etc. and will wait for my contract to end then consider all options.
0 Kudos