Menu
aristonowl
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Very Slow TIVO experience

Hi Forums / Lurking Virgin Media Staff..

We've been a virgin subscriber for a number of months now, we wanted an upgrade from freeview basically. 

We have a basic TV package - which is fine - as our freeview reception wasnt that reliable, so in terms of TV, its ok.

The problem we have, and as it seems many others have had, is that the Tivo unit is just terrible! its very VERY slow - especially for loading up netflix and other apps.  Its actually faster to put on a DVD, its awful (curious to know how virgin media thought this was an acceptable user experience, btw). Every time Netflix is selected, it takes over a minute to START loading, and then then it does it takes a further 2-3 minutes to get to the profile selection.  From wanting to watch netflix to ACTUALLY seeing any content, its about 5-6 minutes. (!!).  Is the netflix application being loaded on demand every time?  Is it not cached locally or something?

Further - the user experience that the tivo does present is inconsistent.  The remote control operates differently between iplayer, netflix and regular tv.  The whole point of the TiVo box surely is to present a common interface to the different services?  (when it does decide to load up,.)

Finally, we have noticed that on some streaming content (most notably iplayer, but some netflix content too) is very slow.  The frame rate seems to be much lower, so the playback looks jerky.   initially we thought that our internet link was congested as it was peak time, but checking this out on a laptop, we got perfectly smooth playback, so bandwidth (measured via a laptop, dont know if TV has a different reserved bandwidth?).

We have a contract for about another 12 months, as we got ourselves locked into an 18month contract, but surely this experience can be improved?   its sub-grade, even when compared to freeview! 

The tivo experience is too slow to operate even basic tasks, the decoding of the streaming media is of variable quality, and the user experience is inconsistent. 

Can V.Media team do anything to help us? We're not "anti tivo" , or "anti virgin" - we dont actually care WHAT the underlying technology is, we want the experience we were given to expect please.

Regards,

S

0 Kudos
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very Slow TIVO experience

Perhaps the problems you are experiencing are due to your individual signal levels that require checking. I only say this because since the recent update, my box is performing much faster than before without any of the issues you mention.
0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

aristonowl wrote:

Hi Forums / Lurking Virgin Media Staff..

We've been a virgin subscriber for a number of months now, we wanted an upgrade from freeview basically. 

We have a basic TV package - which is fine - as our freeview reception wasnt that reliable, so in terms of TV, its ok.

The problem we have, and as it seems many others have had, is that the Tivo unit is just terrible! its very VERY slow - especially for loading up netflix and other apps.  Its actually faster to put on a DVD, its awful (curious to know how virgin media thought this was an acceptable user experience, btw). Every time Netflix is selected, it takes over a minute to START loading, and then then it does it takes a further 2-3 minutes to get to the profile selection.  From wanting to watch netflix to ACTUALLY seeing any content, its about 5-6 minutes. (!!).  Is the netflix application being loaded on demand every time?  Is it not cached locally or something?

Try rebooting it. Suggestions vary but some people do this once a week to help speed things up. Personally I find it works sometimes but not others

Netflix like all other contributors inc the BBC provide their own apps to run on TiVo and I personally think the that there needs to be much more collaboration between all parties to get these apps actually working properly 

Further - the user experience that the tivo does present is inconsistent.  The remote control operates differently between iplayer, netflix and regular tv.  The whole point of the TiVo box surely is to present a common interface to the different services?  (when it does decide to load up,.)

well again, all apps provided by different organisations so that's the problem. Not enough collaboration 

Finally, we have noticed that on some streaming content (most notably iplayer, but some netflix content too) is very slow.  The frame rate seems to be much lower, so the playback looks jerky.   initially we thought that our internet link was congested as it was peak time, but checking this out on a laptop, we got perfectly smooth playback, so bandwidth (measured via a laptop, dont know if TV has a different reserved bandwidth?).

the TiVo has its own 10mb internet connection but at busy times there is definite over utilisation. You could get your signal levels checked just in case. 

We have a contract for about another 12 months, as we got ourselves locked into an 18month contract, but surely this experience can be improved?   its sub-grade, even when compared to freeview! 

The tivo experience is too slow to operate even basic tasks, the decoding of the streaming media is of variable quality, and the user experience is inconsistent. 

Can V.Media team do anything to help us? We're not "anti tivo" , or "anti virgin" - we dont actually care WHAT the underlying technology is, we want the experience we were given to expect please.

Regards,

S

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there aristonowl, 

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums and say that I'm really sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the TiVo® experience to date. 

I've been able to locate your account using your forum credentials and can see an underlying issue with the signal strength feeding your TiVo® which may well explain quite a few of the issues you've raised. 

I'd like to arrange for a technician to call out and investigate further for you, so I'll send you a private message in order to get things arranged. 

Please look to the top left of this page where you'll see a red envelope icon, click on this and you'll see my message. 

Many thanks and apologies once more. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
roddydogs
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Even the biggest TIVO fan will tell you its slow & clunky, cause it has to do so much. The amount of progs available dosnt help, do we really need, say Panorama from months ago?  & why is a programme not in,say last Tuesday, but is in the A-Z section which takes ages to scroll down, even using the channel button to jump down?

0 Kudos
Psychoman67
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi all

The Tv Guide is fine, but it's the Apps that is the problem.

I've just hopped over from Sky and TalkTalk and all I can say is that the Tivo Box is nowhere near as slick as the Sky+ HD Box. I never had any problems downloading on demand information and this was on an 8Meg connection not the 150Mb Fibre which I have now.

I could go on, but was mainly wanting to answer the above question.

0 Kudos