Menu
Wesley1778
Tuning in
Message 1 of 144
Flag for a moderator

Very Slow TIVO box

I'm new to Virgin Media, and impressed with the broadband speed but the find the TIVO box frustratingly slow.  Netflix and Iplayer take several minutes to load up and a few times I've given up and turned to my apple TV box.

My tiny apple TV is speedy, but large TIVO box seems to struggle to even load up the Netflix login page.  Even my old BT youview box outperforms TIVO.  I've tried rebooting with no improvement, I'm not sure what else to try.

Tags (1)

Helpful Answers
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 144
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Very Slow TIVO box

Are you having problems elsewhere? Recordings?Live TV? 

It it might be a signal issue so phone in and ask for it to be checked or you could wait for a mod to see your post but that could take a while. 

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 144
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you having problems elsewhere? Recordings?Live TV? 

It it might be a signal issue so phone in and ask for it to be checked or you could wait for a mod to see your post but that could take a while. 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 144
Flag for a moderator

Hey Wesley1778

Welcome to the Virgin Media forum, I'm massively sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your TiVo box at the moment. 

I've been able to locate your account to run some tests on the set top box for you, we're not detecting any issues from our end at the moment, are the issues you're experiencing happening with your interactive / on demand features are you noticing problems when watching live TV?

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Wesley1778
Tuning in
Message 4 of 144
Flag for a moderator

Live TV is fine but catch up/on demand/Netflix are useless, taking ages to load up.
Anyway, I took ParrotPerson's advice and phoned in, Engineer visit booked.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 144
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting me know Wesley1778

I'd love to hear how the appointment goes, if there's anything I can help with in the future you know where to find me.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Wesley1778
Tuning in
Message 6 of 144
Flag for a moderator

The engineer visited yesterday and explained that there are known issues with Netflix and BBC iplayer on the TiVo box that have been around for several months.
If I'd known that I'd need to wait a couple of minutes to load up Netflix or iplayer, then I wouldn't have signed up to Virgin TV, I could have kept my old BT you view box without any waits.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 144
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wesley1778,

Thanks for the update, I'm sorry to hear the issue hasn't been resolved.

I have taken a closer look and I can see there is some high demand occurring at peak times.  It is something our network team are aware of and will be working to improve things soon.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused during this time.  

IF you have any further disruptions or have other quries, you know where to find us.  We're here to help anytime you need us. Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Wesley1778
Tuning in
Message 8 of 144
Flag for a moderator

Well, things are still slow for the things I use most: Netflix and BBC Iplayer.

With this huge TIVO box on the shelf I was hoping to lose the Apple TV, but I keep returning to Apple TV for anything other than live TV.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues? 

Would I be better returning the TIVO box and going back to a BT (Humax) YouView Box?  (far quicker and far more compact - I can't think of any disadvantages).

0 Kudos
jay87
Joining in
Message 9 of 144
Flag for a moderator

I don't think virgin are ever going to compete with Sky with the Tivo box unless they give it faster specs,

I say this from a 1TB Tivo+HD and Sky+HD 1TB box household,

Sky wins hands down, 

Virgin is soooo laggggy and slow, it makes you want to give up and watch Sky,

Pressing a selection and waiting 10 seconds for the content to load is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE,  

My mum who is in her 60s is even complaining and saying we should go back to Sky.

And I know people who work for Virgin Media, don't come back with a reply telling me you care, you don't.

J

Stevenrw
Joining in
Message 10 of 144
Flag for a moderator

I find that my TIVO box is very slow accessing my recordings as well as IPlayer.

The IPlayer issue has been around since forever and I don't see it improving anytime soon.

I agree, Sky's current HD box offering is far superior in terms of useability and performance. TIVO does have the extra tuner which is useful, but I'm constantly tempted to return to Sky.

It'll just take one more price rise and that'll topple me over I think. I only have TV M+ with Virgin so its inertia is keeping me with Virgin, certainly not TIVO.

And the offshore call centre certainly doesn't help......

0 Kudos