Menu
mattsalt13
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Vanished programmes?

Hi folks,

Our box seems to have deleted a large number of our recorded shows and they are not showing in deleted items!?

From other threads it sounds related to the updates coming through, but I've been through all our settings and they all appear set up correctly to not delete automatically and ensure new shows are recorded...

We lost all our kids shows which seem to have gone and can't be recovered and most of my wife's TV like east enders is showing as deleted by a user and can be recovered but we don't know why it's been deleted!? 

Any ideas folks?? TIA

0 Kudos
mattsalt13
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vanished programmes?

Just to add... We had around 60-70% used up on the box so wasn't running out of room!?

0 Kudos
robjwood
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

We came back from a two-week holiday and we lost a load of programmes. We were only at about 70% capacity. I'd seen that the Tivo service had been updated while we were away so I decided to have a play with the settings.

In the options there was a hidden folder called 'Going Away Soon'. I clicked to enable this and I saw a load of my shows that were due to be deleted today and tomorrow.

What?

Anyway, browsing the forums I noticed someone suggesting that the Tivo box plans recordings up to two weeks in advance. They thought that maybe the box calculated that older programmes would need to be deleted to make way for new ones. That's never happened to me before so I dismissed the idea.

I noticed that one of my series links was recording LOADS more episodes than usual. I'd set the recordings to only record new shows. That would be one a week for most of my series. I checked the options again and they were set to record new and reruns from ALL channels! I changed these options back to New only and, as if by magic, there are now no programmes set to be deleted!

It's just a theory but it seems like the the update to the Tivo box has changed the options for my planned recordings to record any version of the show on any channel. This might mean that old shows were deleted to make room for the massive amount of new shows it planned to record while I was away!

Could that have happened to you?

0 Kudos
robjwood
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

We came back from a two-week holiday and we lost a load of programmes. We were only at about 70% capacity. I'd seen that the Tivo service had been updated while we were away so I decided to have a play with the settings.

In the options there was a hidden folder called 'Going Away Soon'. I clicked to enable this and I saw a load of my shows that were due to be deleted today and tomorrow.

What?

Anyway, browsing the forums I noticed someone suggesting that the Tivo box plans recordings up to two weeks in advance. They thought that maybe the box calculated that older programmes would need to be deleted to make way for new ones. That's never happened to me before so I dismissed the idea.

I noticed that one of my series links was recording LOADS more episodes than usual. I'd set the recordings to only record new shows. That would be one a week for most of my series. I checked the options again and they were set to record new and reruns from ALL channels! I changed these options back to New only and, as if by magic, there are now no programmes set to be deleted!

It's just a theory but it seems like the the update to the Tivo box has changed the options for my planned recordings to record any version of the show on any channel. This might mean that old shows were deleted to make room for the massive amount of new shows it planned to record while I was away!

0 Kudos
mattsalt13
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I think from reading other posts it does seem related to the recent updates to TiVo, but we're still perplexed on why it deleted such a large sampling of programmes in one go!?

In my head I would assume it makes the choice to delete incrementally and deletes as it goes, but this looks like it decided on mass to delete everything?

We were on holiday and it was set to record the Olympics on bbc1 so maybe that took it nearer to full, but I deleted loads soon as we got back and even with a full weeks nearly all day recording it was still only at 70-80% so was never full?

Guess we need to change to never delete per programme? Unless it can be done as a global setting?

Thanks
0 Kudos
robjwood
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You CAN set a default set of options for new series links but I'm guessing you'd have to change each series links you've already set up (guessing here).

It does seem weird as it was down to about 70% before we went away but seems to have deleted over half of what we had!

One of the new options is to record an HD version of your programme when there is one. This would certainly fill it up a lot quicker.
0 Kudos
mattsalt13
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I had a look and it seems to only allow one by one, which with young kids who record everything in sight is going to take a while!!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

robjwood wrote:

What?

Following the firmware update you do have to go through each of your Series links and check the options as they do get changed by the update to the new Series link +  which can record loads more versions of the programme  (well they did in my case).  You can also change the global settings via the Settings menu > recording options, but this doesn't amend existing series links.

robjwood
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VERY annoyed that the updates (that I don't think were communicated that well) caused programmes to get deleted. Loads of kids programmes gone and my daughter was in tears that she no longer had the Descendants movie to watch.
0 Kudos
mattsalt13
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yeah same in our house!

0 Kudos