Menu
jethrouk
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

VM need to provide option of contract advances in exchange for a discount

E.G. 5% off if you pay your whole annual contract fee upfront (like Phone Line Rental, Car Tax, Water Bill)

+ VM have a guaranteed customer for one year and money in the bank

+Customer gets 5% discount

Win - Win

Or maybe just wait until BT do it and 25% of VM customers have migrated 

-------------------------------------------------------------

TIVO desperately needs:

1/ Consecutive recording should be made by the ONE tuner not TWO
2/ List programmes by time/date (not channel) - People will watch their favourite film when its on, they wont wait until it's on BBC1 and thats the way it should be displayed
3/ Wishlists should have option to record in SD
4/ Wishlist should be able to find Movie 'Premiers' (where last aired = TODAY)

These could be programmed by a degree student in half a day
0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM need to provide option of contract advances in exchange for a discount

Consecutive recordings should indeed be same on the same tuner (this was added a while ago) but they either broke it since then, or forgot to tell the scheduling system that this would be happening so it is still seen as an overlap for planning purposes.

Andre

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

There is a Line Rental Saver available.

http://store.virginmedia.com/phone/about-virgin-media-fibre-optic/line-rental-saver.html

TV & Broadband packages are more flexible, so once out of contract you can change package immediately. Paying in advance you would be stuck with your existing package for the duration of the payment.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

andrewilley wrote:

Consecutive recordings should indeed be same on the same tuner (this was added a while ago) but they either broke it since then, or forgot to tell the scheduling system that this would be happening so it is still seen as an overlap for planning purposes.

Andre

I was puzzled by the OP's comment "Consecutive recording should be made by the ONE tuner not TWO" and am now even more puzzled by your reply. I use this feature often and have done so without any real problems since the update that implemented this facility.

The only time I have been pulled up is when I had multiple recordings scheduled around the same time. I re-arranged the priorities and it sorted itself out.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

The only time I have been pulled up is when I had multiple recordings scheduled around the same time. I re-arranged the priorities and it sorted itself out.

Yes, that's my experience too. It uses the same tuner, but the planning scheduler doesn't understand that there isn't really any overlap when you have pre- and post- padding times added, and although only one tuner will be used it won't allow a third recording to be scheduled during the few minutes of overlap. I just remove the padding on the overlapping items and it works fine (as I know I'll have all of the recordings, regardless of when each programme stops and starts). I could have sworn I didn't need to do this when the update was first issued, so not sure if it was 100% fixed and then later 50% broken again.

Andre

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

andrewilley wrote:

frank_gm wrote:

Yes, that's my experience too. It uses the same tuner, but the planning scheduler doesn't understand that there isn't really any overlap when you have pre- and post- padding times added, and although only one tuner will be used it won't allow a third recording to be scheduled during the few minutes of overlap. I just remove the padding on the overlapping items and it works fine (as I know I'll have all of the recordings, regardless of when each programme stops and starts). I could have sworn I didn't need to do this when the update was first issued, so not sure if it was 100% fixed and then later 50% broken again.

Andre

Although, in my case, the planning scheduler was conflicted between what I was asking it to do re consecutive programmes on the same channel and the priority order in Planned Recordings. I could understand why it was puzzled and merely re-organised the priorities. Given the frequency with which I use consecutive recordings, this was a very rare issue.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I must do some more testing with priorities. I've been having to adjust quite a bit lately as I've been manually setting recordings for a series of NCIS re-runs, for which they show two episodes back-to-back per night. If these have my standard overlap padding set (1 pre, 4 post) then I can only schedule one other recording during that overlapping five minutes without the box having a hissy fit. If I remove the padding from that overlap area (so from the end of the first programme and the start of the second one) I can then correctly schedule a third recording to cover the same period. However the box should really know that it's only using one tuner for both recordings and allow scheduling accordingly.

Andre

0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

andrewilley wrote:

frank_gm wrote:

Andre

You are right they broke it again.

some old the old back to back problems have resurfaced, like pixelation on the overlap, ghost entries in the  recording planner, although I think one tuner is still used.

The problem seems to be the current TIVO is a mess of patch upon patch and thus we get fixed things being unfixed as each layer of fix complicates already complicated code. Still we have TIVO Mk 2  to look forward too (sarcastic emoticon, if we had one)  one wonders what box of frogs will be let loose on VM's long suffering customer base when that gets released.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

barrylowry wrote:

andrewilley wrote:

frank_gm wrote:

Andre

You are right they broke it again.

some old the old back to back problems have resurfaced, like pixelation on the overlap, ghost entries in the  recording planner, although I think one tuner is still used.

The problem seems to be the current TIVO is a mess of patch upon patch and thus we get fixed things being unfixed as each layer of fix complicates already complicated code. Still we have TIVO Mk 2  to look forward too (sarcastic emoticon, if we had one)  one wonders what box of frogs will be let loose on VM's long suffering customer base when that gets released.

I have seen some pixellation recently and it may be to do with overlapped recordings although I have seen a couple of other issues too. Nothing too problematic at the moment and I am reluctant to report and have my box changed for a number of reasons, not least because I currently have a Cisco box which still allows me to output audio via the optical port and I don't want to end up with Samsung that can't.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
jethrouk
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

"The only time I have been pulled up is when I had multiple recordings scheduled around the same time."

Surely that's the *only* time it matters, nobody cares whilst there enough tuners to deal with it

Hence it should use the same finger for consecutive recording on the same channel
-------------------------------------------------------------

TIVO desperately needs:

1/ Consecutive recording should be made by the ONE tuner not TWO
2/ List programmes by time/date (not channel) - People will watch their favourite film when its on, they wont wait until it's on BBC1 and thats the way it should be displayed
3/ Wishlists should have option to record in SD
4/ Wishlist should be able to find Movie 'Premiers' (where last aired = TODAY)

These could be programmed by a degree student in half a day
0 Kudos