Menu
cablejunkie
Up to speed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM, Please Stop Breaking Our TiVo's!

To whoever is in charge of TiVo software updates...

Please stop the national roll out of v20.4.3.1 TiVo software, as there is a know major bug causing the loss of DD 5.1 (and all audio on recordings in 'My Shows') to anyone using the optical output to feed sound to an AV amp.

There are now at least three threads all reporting this issue, the oldest dating back over three weeks...

There needs to be a clear consistent voice from VM on this issue, with regular updates on progress. We all understand that technology goes wrong sometimes, but to continue to hobble TiVo boxes all over the UK with software known to be broken defies logic!

I'd like to add that I've always been pretty happy with all the services you supply to me and it's quite rare (in my experience) for things to go this wrong, but the money I pay each month is for an agreed level of service which this fault clearly breaks.

Please VM take this seriously, customer service is where you can really win over your current customers, keeping them on-side, and even getting them recommending your service to others!

cablejunkie
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM, Please Stop Breaking Our TiVo's!

cablejunkie
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The first thing I do in the morning is check if I have had the update yet. I do not understand why Virgin Media cannot simply say whether they have put the rollout on hold. Is that an unreasonable question? Especially when they have ignored customer complaints in the past and continued to rollout regardless. I have found a thread on another forum where this 20.4.3.1 version has been known about and discussed for a month! Tivo apparently fixed the code around March. The usual "sorry. we are investigating" is not enough for me as firstly we know how often we hear that on here and it never goes any further and secondly I would like to make a decision regarding the contract termination clause before 31st August, provided in the latest price hike.

Do Virgin Media understand how important Dolby Digital is to people who have paid a lot of money for big screens and expensive sound systems to enjoy movies and sports etc. properly? Especially, for some, during the football season and with the rugby world cup coming up soon. For me Dolby Digital is just as important as an HD picture.

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion.

This user has left the community.
cablejunkie
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

FYI...

From the thread - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/No-sound-on-recordings-and-after-pausing-or-rewinding-tv/m...

richard_2t wrote:

Hi,

I am also experiencing this issue but have found the following that may be of interest to some people.

Once the sound goes from my Amp, I found that changing the HDMI channel on my TV would make the sound on the Amp start.  Next I'd just change the HDMI channel back to the Tivo box and happily watch the recorded program in Dolby DIgital - it even allows pausing but not FFwd or Rwd.

My thoughts are that the latest update has prioritised the HDMI audio channel above that of the Optical link, therefore changing the HDMI channel causes the Tivo to search for a "working" audio output.
Anyway, feel free to try this and see if you have the same experience.
Virgin, please feel free to pass this information on to your engineers!  Maybe extending the sound menu to "Output to Optical" might be an option ;-)

Hi richard_2t,

Hi richard_2t,

Nice work finding this 'fix', I can confirm that trying exactly what you've suggested also works with my set-up (Phillips TV connected to TiVo directly by HDMI, TiVo optical O/P connected to my Onkyo AV amp).

My educated guess is that HDCP has something to do with this issue, as briefly 'breaking' the connection between the TiVo and TV by changing the TV HDMI input causes the TiVo to search for another working audio connection, it finds the optical O/P and enables it. Going into fast forward or rewind breaks this connection once again and switches back to the 'default' HDMI for audio, disabling the optical out, pausing doesn't break the signal connection so doesn't cause the audio to drop out.

I could be totally wrong about this, but having read a couple of other threads that are not about this exact issue there seems to be some common ground!

Anyway, I'll leave this out there in forum land for someone with the connections up the chain of command to see, and assuming it's OK with you I may also post this on some of the other threads that are reporting this issue?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi cablejunkie, 

Thanks for your post and apologies for the issues you are having with the Dolby Digital. 

I've passed your comments on but in the meantime you can keep up to date via this thread here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/No-sound-on-recordings-and-after-pausing-or-rewinding-tv/td...

James has posted some short term possible solutions while we wait for a full fix on this. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
cablejunkie
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath and I don't want to come across as rude but I'm very aware of the other threads, as my opening and subsequent posts lists most of them!

I know you're just trying to help and I appreciate that, all we want is a fix ASAP for this bug and if possible a halt to rolling out the dodgy patch to anyone else until it's fixed.

From a customers perspective it's extremely irritating to have a TiVo that was working perfectly, broken by an 'update' that seems to have added nothing and taken away something very useful! I appreciate there may be changes behind the scenes which we don't see, but what we do see, we don't like!

I've subscribed to most of the posts regarding this, so hopefully I'll get to know about a resolution as soon as any of you do!

pxg
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am so frustrated with this problem that arrived with the automatic software update last year. As explained to me by a VM technician there's nothing VM can do about this until Tivo provide another update. This just isn't good enough.

VM did advise using the optical output from my TV but that only gives basic 2 channel sound - PCM not Dolby 5.1. I've experimented with an HDMI splitter (as advised somewhere in another thread) to give an optical output but this has been problematic too. The splitter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IMGJ5D2) does work when first connected to a live TV but using this somehow confuses TiVo when the TV is switched off and on again and I lose both picture and audio.

I think the TiVo platform is now looking tired and outdated compared to the competition. I'm on the point of dumping VM and going for Freeview Play as it will give me everything I need and I can get a decent box from Panasonic or others that will work very nicely with my AV equipment.