Menu
jimgironde
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6 installation confused

I have a V6 being installed in a couple of weeks to replace my existing Tivo.

I am confused as to why the Hub ideally has to be hard wired to the V6?

I currently have TV/Broadband/Phone.

The service cable coming into the house is right by the TV and a short cable comes from "a small box on the wall" into the Tivo. Two more wires run through the house, one goes to my phone point and the second goes to my hub which is in a different room.

Currently my "Virgin" TV services are routed through the hard wire and not WiFi, wont this continue to be the case?

My TV has smart apps which are wifi dependant but Virgin would not worry about that.

I am obviously missing something simple here but don't know what? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 installation confused

The TiVo has a modem to permit it internet access via the coax.

The V6 does not, so it needs to be connected (ideally via Ethernet) to your SuperHub to provide internet access.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
jimgironde
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I understand that.

Doesn't that mean they have made connectivity more difficult for the end user?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A little, but it's a necessity of the service provided - the 10Mbps modem in the TiVo was barely enough to stream iPlayer in HD, let alone contemplate 4K Netflix or YouTube streams.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
jimgironde
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah, completely understand!

Supplementary question. Do you know if Virgin provide powerline as an option in the installation cost?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Powerline is an option, but I don't know the cost.

0 Kudos
jimgironde
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This gives me a real conundrum now because I didn't realise my existing Tivo only ran at 10mb via internal modem.

My connection speed is a nominal 200mb and my wifi download speed is circa 120mb when testing with speedtest etc. Hardwiring my laptop gives a speed of 216mb incidentally.

I now think I would be better off having the superhub hardwired to the V6 as this will increase speed x20? I could also use another port on the superhub and hardwire my TV which is 4K and HDR capable (Samsung 55KS8000).

My problem is that my wifi speed of circa 120mb on my laptop is in the location of the TV. I am concerned that the Virgin technician will take a reading of wifi speed and replace my hub to its existing location. I have read they will take the easiest option or can I insist on the superhub being adjacent to the V6 as this will ensure no wifi drop out which we occasionally get when streaming Netflix.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If things will be improved by moving the hub to nearer your TV setup, then there is time built into the appointment to do that.

jimgironde
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks PrinterElf you have been a great help to me in understanding the issues involved.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I asked the engineers to move my hub during the V6 installation but I had already phoned and asked for this to be added to the notes. The engineers who carried out my install were VM staff and were very helpful. However, others have reported that contractors, used rather than VM staff, have refused to do anything that is not in their notes. 

I would therefore phone up in advance of the installation to make sure that it is on the list of tasks to be carried out.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!